honey bees, how to start

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been watching this show "Verminators" and they've shown a few times where these pest control guys go in and poison a HUGE hive of honey bees (not killer bees). Drives me nuts! I hope they (and other companies) are trying to work with people that want bees and could find a way to move the hive instead of just killing everything and tossing it all in the trash.

Are there companies / groups that will come in and transfer hives?

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What!!! It's a federal law that you can't kill honey bees!! I dont know if there's any "groups" per se, but most all bee keepers will come and pick up bees, usually for under $50. (sometimes free). Most states have a bee keepers association, through which one could find a bee keeper in their area. Many bee keepers are registered at their county co-ops as well.

Colored Egg Farmer

Way Too Many Chickens
Reaction score
Nifty said:
I've been watching this show "Verminators" and they've shown a few times where these pest control guys go in and poison a HUGE hive of honey bees (not killer bees). Drives me nuts! I hope they (and other companies) are trying to work with people that want bees and could find a way to move the hive instead of just killing everything and tossing it all in the trash.

Are there companies / groups that will come in and transfer hives?
Good show i watched it. Gives me the creeps though.

I saw them kill the killer bees and the honey bees. they were both huge hives.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
So-called 'killer bees, or Africanized honeybees, are more aggressive in defending their hive than European honeybees. Yes, being swarmed by AHB's can kill. As a beekeeper, I know not to tolerate a 'hot' hive. Fortunately around here AHB's can't make it through the winter. They need to be active year round, and around here it's just too cold for them. Fortunately. That may change but so far it's true. There have been reports of a beekeeper in CT getting an Africanized package, but it was swiftly dispatched with.

The best way to get started with honeybees is to locate your nearest beekeeping club and join it. That way you have access to mentors and most likely the ability to buy bees in the spring as a group. Gazinga, where are you located? Give me your state and we'll find you a club to start with. You can try looking here, but I've found not everyone has their club listed here.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hi Ann, I am considering keeping bees next year. Have been reading up on it. Care to tell us what your take on it is. The amount of work etc.
I know there is a club in Hinham, which is the next town over from me.Thinking of checking it out.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
So-called 'killer bees, or Africanized honeybees, are more aggressive in defending their hive than European honeybees. Yes, being swarmed by AHB's can kill. As a beekeeper, I know not to tolerate a 'hot' hive. Fortunately around here AHB's can't make it through the winter. They need to be active year round, and around here it's just too cold for them. Fortunately. That may change but so far it's true. There have been reports of a beekeeper in CT getting an Africanized package, but it was swiftly dispatched with.

The best way to get started with honeybees is to locate your nearest beekeeping club and join it. That way you have access to mentors and most likely the ability to buy bees in the spring as a group. Gazinga, where are you located? Give me your state and we'll find you a club to start with. You can try looking here, but I've found not everyone has their club listed here.
Where is the farthest north AHB are? Can they only kill you if allergic?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Here is a map showing the spread of AHB updated as of March 2008. Yes, they can kill you without you being allergic, it's an overwhelming response to many stings. But keep in mind the chance of being killed by AHB is less than that of being struck by lighning.

Here's another article explaining steps to take to avoid contact with AHB (or any honeybees, for that matter) and what to do in case you disturb their nest. From this page:

DO NOT panic every time you see a few bees in some flowers. Bees are very important and productive insects (when they are not attacking!) which is why there is no wholesale program for destruction of bees.
This is so important. too many people are terrified of bees to begin with, now their fears are even more exaggerated over AHB and they needn't be.

I have worked my gardens for over 30 years now and have never, ever been stung. By anything. I've got three beehives directly behind my garden, and have no problem with them whatsoever bothering people. All they want to do is gather pollen and nectar. They don't want to sting, they die if they do. They'll only bother you if you bother them.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm also interested in possibly gett some hives. Does anybody have any great beginner bee-keeping books? I seem to learn best that way :)