honey bees, how to start

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
NOT affiliated in any way with BYC or TEG, ticks. Just a good source of info for first time beeks and such. Will answer all questions for you as best they can.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
NOT affiliated in any way with BYC or TEG, ticks. Just a good source of info for first time beeks and such. Will answer all questions for you as best they can.
I know, I know. It is not called Backyard Honey bees is it? It must not be rob then.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ticks said:
Beemaster.com is that ANOTHER forum?
How about backyardhive.com for further confusing the issue? :)

Well, I'm doing it! I didn't think I would get my ducks in a row, so to speak, but I read like crazy on my Feb vacation, did a ton of online research and feel comfortable enough to have ordered 2 colonies today: 3# Italian and 3# Carniolan.

My husband pulled together some scrap lumber for me to build the top bar hives (2), or at least I will try. I have my carpenter dad lined up for back-up support. Any suggestion from beeks on ways to weatherize the wood (pine or cherry) without painting?

Are there any top-bar hive beeks out there?

me&thegals

MarkR

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been a member/lurker at BeeMaster for years. It's great. And Anne always has good info there, here, and a few other places. Listen to her. She knows what she's doing.

Mark

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Mark, good to see you, I've missed your postings - hopefully all is well with you and yours!

me&thegals

Reaction score
The BEES arrive today!!! 3# Italian and 3# Carniolan.

How is it going for everyone else who has or planned on having bees this spring? I would appreciate any sort of advice on installing and feeding the bees.

How long do they need to be fed (they are not coming as a nuc) before they can find enough outside to build up?

What's your favorite feeding method?

What tips do you have on installing?

Thanks!

me&thegals (the gals used to refer to chickens, but I guess it includes all those non-drone bees now, too :D )

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrulations on getting bees. I just got mine last Monday. I am going to feed mine for two weeks. I have a feeder that goes into the enterence of their hive. I use a quart jar with the feeder lid. It is good to spray your frames with sugar water before you put your bees into the hive. The queen should be in a box that is plugged with candy. You need to poke a hole in the candy with a toothpick. The bees will get her out. She needs to be place inbetween the center fame at the top with the candy hanging out. You will have to take out a frame to do this. You need to make sure that the sceen is facing out so the bees can still feed her awhile she is in there. I am still learning. I help this helps. I hope I wasn't too confusing.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Thanks!! I have ordered 2 feeder lids and jars, too, to put 1 in each hive entrance. I have top bar hives, so that part may work a bit differently. I think I will also sprinkle sugar on the bottoms of the boxes and then mist it with water for more bee food.

Does the queen need to be suspended? Could she be on the hive bottom? If my bees have traveled for a few days from down south to get here, could she be immediately released?