Honey for abcess on cat - thoughts?

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
He is doing really well. I know he is feeling better because he is finally coming around and letting me pet him (as opposed to just hiding under the bed and growling). The wound is closing really nicely - and a lot quicker than I had anticipated. It is a nice pink color with no swelling or drainage. I was concerned at first about how quickly it was closing for fear that a pocket of infection would be trapped, but at this point I don't think that is going to be an issue.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is great news!! thanks for the update! and give him a pet for me!

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When my dog had issue with his butt gland I put Herbs for kids Super Kids Salve on it.Yeah,they(dogs and cats) just won't stop licking those areas.Ewww. Makes it hard to tend too.Honey sure is good for healing,but might make them lick more,lol.

I think I might have also dabbed the area with a washcloth soaked in goldensdseal tea.

Glad to read it is healing well!

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I realize I'm too late to help with this time....but for future occurances and/or to help others with the same type of problem, try using lavender essential oil. Clean the wound thoroughly, as you did, then put one or two drops of oil on the wound. Hold the cat or other animal for 15-30 minutes so it can soak in well. Repeat as necessary. The lavender helps with the pain as well as the healing, and won't hurt them when they lick it. In fact, it can help fight infection and help the healing from the inside! Good job on your "veterinary" skills!