Honey sold in stores is NOT honey

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Marianne said:
When I mentioned beekeeping to DH, he gave me 'the look'. I get 'the look' a lot.
Gee, I do too.... LOL
I do want bees, mostly because I think it is vital to the environment right now. I would have them here if I could, but I can't so I'll just have to wait. Actually, more than wanting bees, I want a bee keeper to come and put hives on my property and then give me a little honey and maybe some wax if I need it. :D

We are able to get honey from the farm in PA that we order much of our food through, and I ADORE it. Its whitish, and THICK, almost like the suebee stuff is from the store, but OHHH SO MUCH better!!! If you put some in tea, it actually leaves a bit of grit in the bottom of the cup, and I am ok with that :)

This is just another confirmation that I don't trust anything that is processed. And more reason that I can't WAIT to really be able to be self sufficient!!

ilvalleygal

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
We are able to get honey from the farm in PA that we order much of our food through, and I ADORE it. Its whitish, and THICK, almost like the suebee stuff is from the store, but OHHH SO MUCH better!!! If you put some in tea, it actually leaves a bit of grit in the bottom of the cup, and I am ok with that :)
I haven't had SueBee, but that thick, white honey might be unrefined, raw honey. A beekeeper here had some for sale and my granddaughter called it "honey frosting." According to the beekeeper, the raw honey is filtered until it turns into the golden honey syrup usually sold by beekeepers.

The "honey" smuggling has been plaguing U.S. Customs for years actually. There are lots of other articles and reports going back a few years about Chinese honey and how brokers are finding new ways to smuggle it.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
From actually reading the article, the theme sees to be the ability to determine the source of the honey. It's not that the honey is so different, it's just not tracable.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
ilvalleygal said:
thick, white honey might be unrefined, raw honey. A beekeeper here had some for sale and my granddaughter called it "honey frosting." According to the beekeeper, the raw honey is filtered until it turns into the golden honey syrup usually sold by beekeepers.
Yes, it is raw. My mom was wondering if it had the comb still in it. I have no idea, really. I am curious, as I have always seen images of the golden stuff dripping off the comb. But maybe that isn't accurate?

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought some raw honey today and it is to die for. Makes store bought taste second or third hand.

Latest posts