Honeysuckle mead

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So my wife an I were picking tomatoes in the garden when she caught scent of the second blossoming of honeysuckle we got in droves growing wild about the property. She then said "honey?" Now I know this ask. So I said "yes?" She then said "can you make wine out of honeysuckle?" I said "yes if its edible and doesn't move you can ferment it and before you even ask yes I'll make you a wine out of honeysuckle but let's try a mead instead of wine". So here goes a try at honeysuckle mead. I smell so pretty now -:lol

IMG_20190825_181219887.jpg

Recipe:
Yield: 1 Gallon (5 - 750 ml bottles)
6 cups honeysuckle flower petals (loosely packed)
7.5 pints of water / 2 lbs honey
2 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp wine tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Champagne wine yeast

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't a mead made with flowers called a metheglin?

I suppose it is if honeysuckle is considered a spice??? So I guess I'm going to try and make honeysuckle metheglin.

https://www.stambrose-mead-wine.com/about/types-of-mead/
METHEGLIN
"Meads that are made with spices such
as nutmeg or cinnamon. Sometimes considered to have medicinal benefits.
"

Amazingly honeysuckle blossoms seeped in simmering water is quite sweet all by itself. No wonder honey bees love it.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Starting gravity 1.070 or approx 10% alcohol by volume. This will increase, I'll add more honey as ferment goes along.

Interestingly, it has a dark brown color from me caramelizing the honey a little bit. I'm shooting for a deep golden color with vanilla notes, toffee flavor and a touch of honeysuckle sweetness.
IMG_20190825_192553846.jpg

When I hold the jug up to the light, it's a nice amber color where the light shines through.
IMG_20190825_194000666.jpg

I'm really curious what the champagne yeast will do with the color. It does taste delicious, right now like super sweet toffee candy, so fingers crossed for a nice honeysuckle buchet bumetheglin.

BTW... I still smell very pretty -:lol

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Amazingly honeysuckle blossoms seeped in simmering water is quite sweet all by itself. No wonder honey bees love it

My goats love honeysuckle! While they do eat the flowers, what they like are the young leaves. So if flowers are on those vines they eat them! I have a lot of honeysuckle!! It will take over like Kudzu. Hard to get rid of. Some vines die after being defoliated but, then you have dead vines everywhere! It loves a fence.:( Hard to cut it all off, too.

I always thought mead was a honey brew but never knew you also flavored it. :idunno Nice.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Color day 3 - last post for a while, nothing really to see other than a strong ferment. I can still smell the honeysuckle coming out of the air lock. But at least I don't smell all pretty anymore.

Pictured next to apple cider and sassafras wine for color reference.
IMG_20190827_113433860.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Time to rack and add more honey to my wife's honeysuckle mead. I'm not used to quick ferments with massive amounts of lees. Honey must not have a lot of fermentable sugars, just look how deep the lees is in the bottom of the jug just after 7 days fermenting.

Smells like a ladies drink, kind of curious what it tastes like at this stage of the game. Lightened up a bunch too.
IMG_20190902_200256159.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts