HOORAY! I DID IT! Power Bill DOWN!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It is SO much easier to save money (= lower bills) now that it is just hubby and me. He likes those low bills too!

When we had kids at home there were always basement lights left on, TV left on, computers left on, and doors left open. Even with the programmable thermostat keeping things nice and warm (72) someone (read kids) was always cranking it up. I would be getting sweaty and go check the dial to find it up to 78, then search the house to find some kid (and they all did it) laying around it shorts with the fan on!

My - I do love children.

We do the "close off rooms" thing too. The basement is just heated enough to keep pipes warm and floor from being icy, upstairs vents are closed - enough heat rises through the floor, bedroom door is shut during day until about and hour before bed, and family room door is closed unless we are using it. Heating in this way allows us to use less wood and keep the rooms we are using toasty. We also open the shades wide when the sun shines and close them all night or when it is dark. The furnace seldom comes on. Also letting the sun in keeps us from using electric lights. This old house was built before the days of air conditioning and has nice large windows that really let in the light. Of course without proper curtains those same windows can really let out the heat when it is cold.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
That is awesome that you were able to get you bill down! We installed a hot water timer on our electric 80 gallon hot water tank....we made no other changes. Our electric bill went from $180 to $110 and this month it was $76!! We have not had a bill that low in ages!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hi PamsPride

Welcome to the forum!

OK--that is crazy low from just making that change!!!!

Please tell me what "times" do you use? Just wondering. I was on the fence whether to install one or not, but with your results egging me along, I think it is time.

What time does it "go off and come on" etc.

thanks so much! Karen

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got this months power bill

last month...$83.....this MONTH---TA -DA---$80

WEE--Yippee

so I called the power company and cancelled my fixed payment plan of $142. I KNOW I will never be that high again. So I feel fine in doing that. (Ticked off cause they hit me with a $30 cancel fee...WHAT THE F.....please ya know. I wanted to say "so much" to them but I bit my tongue....ya'll know what I wanted to say..HA HA HA

last year was $138...so dropping to $80 is a good feat for me.

I know I will have 2 cold winter months, Jan and Feb....and two hot AC months, July and Aug.....other than those 2 that might be like $100-110 or so.....I know I can cut my yearly payments big time. Tracking what I spend and see what I save over the year.

I am going electricity obessed...time to slow down now..HA HA...starting to think about it too much..HA HA

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
They may charge you a fine, but in the end YOU win!

Congratulations on your fine work!:D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Even if you hadda kept with th budget payment plan,--you would have gotten a few free months in the summer. Our power companies re-evaluate every four months to see if you ar on track with the budget plan. My hydro last summer--I had three free months, two months of $10.

With gas, it will be adjusted too, with all the changes we've made with our heating. But I still prefer th bvudgt plan, so I know how much to budget each month.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was a yearly re-evaluation.
Now I want to pay actual usage cost now. I know I will be saving good.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey farmfresh---yea I did win...cause I lowered my bill by a good chunk.....and even if slapped once in the face by the cancellation fee, never again!!!!!! LOL