Hornets on the Porch

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
My daughter come to me today and says, "We have a really neat wasp nest being built on the porch". It's neat alright. Great. I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight. Thank goodness it's still small, about the size of a baseball. Let's see, where did I put that epinephrine. :rolleyes:

l_d23072327acd434897f93aeaedfe4145.jpg

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I lived down in Dallas, a lot of people painted the underside of their porches blue and that supposedly discouraged wasps from building there. I can't really say if it was the blue paint or not but those people never had any bug issues.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
When I lived down in Dallas, a lot of people painted the underside of their porches blue and that supposedly discouraged wasps from building there. I can't really say if it was the blue paint or not but those people never had any bug issues.
Thanks for the suggestion! We have now put that on our agenda for the summer, since we will be doing other re-painting also. I'll report back, at a later date, and let everyone know how successful it is.

ETA: Can anyone suggest a good (safe) method to get rid of this nest?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
No suggestion on getting rid of the nest but the blue paint is really suppose to work.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
jendh, thanks for the link! I can think of several areas to hang these.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
THAT's why all the porches have blue ceilings here!!!!!!! :th I've wondered about that so many times....mine has a blue one as well....no wasps or hornetsthe four years I've been here. Folks should paint the underside of their eaves/soffits the same color. :p

For those high and hard to reach paper wasp nests, try a super soaker water gun loaded with Dawn Dishwashing liquid/water mix. Does the trick!