Horray Hay

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Man the tractors are struggling. Have to creep trough the fields to prevent the mowers from straining. It's high and thick. I'm so glad it's being made into hay.
IMG_20200914_141031574.jpg

IMG_20200914_140854851.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Exactly WHY hay makers do not want to go into fields they don't know. I'm surprised they agreed to do more than just bushhog this year. That stuff is tough to cut. I know that my fields can bog the bushhog if they get very tall because they are so thick. Of course, I do have constant fertilizing going on from animals.

Sad to "waste" such good feed! I lament this fact as I cut my fields, each year. But haying takes a larger tractor than I have & the cost of the attachments to cut & bale is beyond my needs! Then maintenance & repairs. I thank them when I BUY the bales. 😁

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Exactly WHY hay makers do not want to go into fields they don't know. I'm surprised they agreed to do more than just bushhog this year. That stuff is tough to cut. I know that my fields can bog the bushhog if they get very tall because they are so thick. Of course, I do have constant fertilizing going on from animals.

Sad to "waste" such good feed! I lament this fact as I cut my fields, each year. But haying takes a larger tractor than I have & the cost of the attachments to cut & bale is beyond my needs! Then maintenance & repairs. I thank them when I BUY the bales. 😁
It's sad to me that all this good grass is going to have to be bush hogged. Oh well what can a guy do? Hopefully next year will be different and I'll have some animals, garden and expanded orchard on some of it. I know, It's a slow but steady process.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, why not get a couple of rolls of electronet and a couple of 5-6 wt calves to feed for a few months???? Move the netting every few days or week.... let them eat down all that hasn't been cut. The gain will probably not make you much money as the heavier they get the less per pound they bring.... but it would still make you something....Or better yet, get a couple of 8-9 weights and graze for a couple months and then sell one and eat the other.... You will get about the same price per pound at 7-8 wts as at 9-1100 lbs.... so it would be a gain that would help if you sold one and ate the other.... Just find a place to butcher it first as the wait time here is unbelieveable. You do not have to go usda... just for the meat for yourself.... if you kill deer, and dress them out, then you could do your own... just bigger. Heifers are cheaper than steers to buy and often don't discount as much as they get bigger.... Or get a few that have had "pinkeye" so have white spots or even being blind on one side... they are often discounted heavily at the stock yards... he//, you don't eat their eyes.. so unless they are totally blind, they will still see fine to get around and eat in an enclosed area that they are not being harrassed by other animals so not pushed to try to get loose to get away from other bullies.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like there is "some" fence up??? I at least see a wood and a T-post in one pic. Some electric insulators on T....maybe no fence.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, why not get a couple of rolls of electronet and a couple of 5-6 wt calves to feed for a few months???? Move the netting every few days or week.... let them eat down all that hasn't been cut. The gain will probably not make you much money as the heavier they get the less per pound they bring.... but it would still make you something....Or better yet, get a couple of 8-9 weights and graze for a couple months and then sell one and eat the other.... You will get about the same price per pound at 7-8 wts as at 9-1100 lbs.... so it would be a gain that would help if you sold one and ate the other.... Just find a place to butcher it first as the wait time here is unbelieveable. You do not have to go usda... just for the meat for yourself.... if you kill deer, and dress them out, then you could do your own... just bigger. Heifers are cheaper than steers to buy and often don't discount as much as they get bigger.... Or get a few that have had "pinkeye" so have white spots or even being blind on one side... they are often discounted heavily at the stock yards... he//, you don't eat their eyes.. so unless they are totally blind, they will still see fine to get around and eat in an enclosed area that they are not being harrassed by other animals so not pushed to try to get loose to get away from other bullies.
We need to talk :)

Latest posts