Horray Hay

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the worst of the worst here at the farm. This little patch of an acre or so was the hog pen according to my neighbor who grew up here. You can see it's been abandoned for at least 10 years. The willow trees you see growing up are pits where the hogs would wallow in the mud. One pit is about 10 foot deep.

Our plans were to clean it up and plant fruit trees there. But now I'm not so sure if it could be used as a hog pen again or not? Its awful close to the house. Honestly I'm not sure I want hogs that close to the house. They stink and flies are something else.

IMG_20200917_190335823.jpg

You can see underneath the 6' high weeds is grass. I ran the zero turn along the fence row on the right hand side picture so I could get back there without wading through weeds that are waist deep.
IMG_20200917_190354329.jpg

Here is the biggest and deepest wallow pit. There are two pits, one much smaller and swallower. This pit has to be a good 10' deep from where I'm standing.
IMG_20200917_190505458.jpg

The hog pen is a flipping mess. It's going to take a lot to clean it up enough for planting fruit trees. I'm thinking about renting a bull dozer for a day to get this cleaned up.
IMG_20200917_190422412.jpg

But like I told my wife, once we get it cleaned up and we put it in weekly mow with the finish mower, it'll help it stay clean and eventually look like the rest of the yard.

IDK... Any ideas or advise on what you would do with this would surely be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In Wyoming, they hang rocks on the outside corners of the fence to keep it tight, lol. I lost my pictures of that, but it really tickled my funny bone to see a boulder wrapped in wire and hanging off the backside of a wooden post about a foot off the ground. I am sure it is a lot easier to hang a boulder than to try and dig another post hole in that rocky, clayey, granite mess that they call soil out there.

I like the big bolder idea :)

But if you visit illinois and if you see the top of a fence post painted purple, or purple colored rings around a tree, it means no trespassing and no hunting. I kid you not, it's the law here in Illinois.

Why purple you ask? Well I guess if your color blind you can still make this color out. This law was put into place because people got tired of replacing old crappy wind torn and faded no trespassing and no hunting signs. They even sell no hunting purple spray paint in the store. Crazy hu?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like the big bolder idea :)

But if you visit illinois and if you see the top of a fence post painted purple, it means no trespassing and no hunting. I kid you not it's the law here in Illinois. Why purple you ask? Well I guess if your color blind you can still make it out. This law was put into place because people got tired of replacing old crappy wind torn and faded no trespassing and no hunting signs. They even sell no hunting purple spray paint in the store. Crazy hu?
Not crazy. Same purple paint on a tree or fence post here in Texas.

On the pig pen, I think a bull dozer is a good idea. Level it off, fill in the low spots and clean it up.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No trespassing signs get torn up, shot, lost or just gone. Paint is easy, cheap and doesn't fall off.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like the No Hunting PURPLE. Wisconsin should make that a law also.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I have been quietly reading and enjoying this thread. My only suggestion is perhaps to contact the local ag office? Who knows, there might be a program available to help you? :hu

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I have been quietly reading and enjoying this thread. My only suggestion is perhaps to contact the local ag office? Who knows, there might be a program available to help you? :hu

I most definitely will be checking into that this winter. The property is registered as a Farm already.