Horse Slaugher Now Legal for Human Consumption

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had horse here in the USA that was from France where they are raised to be food animals. it was very very nice meat and as long as they are raised humanly and slaughter humanly I would buy it. To me it was like a mix between beef/venison/bison.. not fatty at all.
I also eat veal and would like to try my hand at raising a calf for rose veal.(Older than milk fed veal and allowed to roam and eat a bit of grass, so the meat is a bit "redder" than milk fed)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I am also ok with it as long as it is done humanely...which it wasn't in the past. I was one of the protesters that got it outlawed in TX. I saw first hand horses loaded like cattle and sitting in traffic (Houston) in scorching heat. I also know the way they were killed was traumatic for horses b/c of their flight instincts, causing the killer to miss the target over and over again in some instances.

There is a place up here that humanely slaughters your horse and feeds the meat to rescued exotic animals. That is where all 3 of my horses are going when it is their time. Peaceful ending without any waste.

eta: I'm not against eating well raised, grass fed horse meat, although I doubt I could unless I was desperate. :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The sad fact is that without a Killer Market the price for good horses goes in the trash can. Killer Market is always bottom dollar.

The other sad fact is that horses have always been slaughtered for meat, since cave man times. We can either allow processors ...HIGHLY REGULATED processors in the US to slaughter them or guarantee that the horses going to market are insured a horrible journey to a un-restricted processor somewhere in Mexico.

The last unfortunate fact is that there ARE horses out there that are only fit for a tin can. Sounds harsh? True enough, but why waste our limited resources on horses that are so crazy they are dangerous or horses with such severe health issues they will never be sound again?

Political issue ... but the best thing this administration has done yet if you ask me.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to agree with it. Not sure why horses are labelled as any different than cattle anyways. Why are people ok with cattle being eaten or treated a certain way, but horses is a big "no-no"? It's all meat in my book.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got the bbq rolling for a big horse steak!

truly if handled properly I see no problems at all. Other than animal people are going to flip.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think we should get cattle slauter stoped, the maybe the price of beef will go down. Hehehe

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
*shrug* I'm just saying that there aren't generally horses raised specifically for meat.

As a foster for horses seized / surrendered in my county, I am all for reopening the slaughter houses. My cousin witnessed 6 emaciated horses shot down by rangers in the Ocala forest because people dump horses there constantly. He went to an auction with a buddy and when they got back to the truck, there were 2 horses IN the trailer, fully tacked up. Nobody claimed them, nobody came back to teh truck for them... just dumped.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thats just crazy AL.
It is happening around here also.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All I can say is around here people are GIVING horses away. That's a LOT of free meat especially when people are already hitting tough times..... I can see good coming out of it.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AL said:
*shrug* I'm just saying that there aren't generally horses raised specifically for meat.

As a foster for horses seized / surrendered in my county, I am all for reopening the slaughter houses. My cousin witnessed 6 emaciated horses shot down by rangers in the Ocala forest because people dump horses there constantly. He went to an auction with a buddy and when they got back to the truck, there were 2 horses IN the trailer, fully tacked up. Nobody claimed them, nobody came back to teh truck for them... just dumped.
Ok, so this is probably going to sound cold-hearted to the extreme, but that's a gift there... Free tack and free meat...