1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plants that keep bugs away - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Horse Slaugher Now Legal for Human Consumption

Discussion in 'Horses, Donkeys and Mules' started by Mackay, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dec 1, 2011
    Emerald

Emerald Lovin' The Homestead

I've had horse here in the USA that was from France where they are raised to be food animals. it was very very nice meat and as long as they are raised humanly and slaughter humanly I would buy it. To me it was like a mix between beef/venison/bison.. not fatty at all.
    I also eat veal and would like to try my hand at raising a calf for rose veal.(Older than milk fed veal and allowed to roam and eat a bit of grass, so the meat is a bit "redder" than milk fed)

2. Dec 1, 2011
    big brown horse

big brown horse Hoof In Mouth

I am also ok with it as long as it is done humanely...which it wasn't in the past. I was one of the protesters that got it outlawed in TX. I saw first hand horses loaded like cattle and sitting in traffic (Houston) in scorching heat. I also know the way they were killed was traumatic for horses b/c of their flight instincts, causing the killer to miss the target over and over again in some instances.

There is a place up here that humanely slaughters your horse and feeds the meat to rescued exotic animals. That is where all 3 of my horses are going when it is their time. Peaceful ending without any waste.

eta: I'm not against eating well raised, grass fed horse meat, although I doubt I could unless I was desperate. :p

3. Dec 1, 2011
    Farmfresh

Farmfresh City Biddy

The sad fact is that without a Killer Market the price for good horses goes in the trash can. Killer Market is always bottom dollar.

The other sad fact is that horses have always been slaughtered for meat, since cave man times. We can either allow processors ...HIGHLY REGULATED processors in the US to slaughter them or guarantee that the horses going to market are insured a horrible journey to a un-restricted processor somewhere in Mexico.

The last unfortunate fact is that there ARE horses out there that are only fit for a tin can. Sounds harsh? True enough, but why waste our limited resources on horses that are so crazy they are dangerous or horses with such severe health issues they will never be sound again?

Political issue ... but the best thing this administration has done yet if you ask me.

4. Dec 1, 2011
    Bettacreek

Bettacreek Almost Self-Reliant

I have to agree with it. Not sure why horses are labelled as any different than cattle anyways. Why are people ok with cattle being eaten or treated a certain way, but horses is a big "no-no"? It's all meat in my book.

5. Dec 1, 2011
    FarmerChick

FarmerChick Super Self-Sufficient

Got the bbq rolling for a big horse steak!

truly if handled properly I see no problems at all. Other than animal people are going to flip.

6. Dec 1, 2011
    the funny farm6

the funny farm6 Almost Self-Reliant

I think we should get cattle slauter stoped, the maybe the price of beef will go down. Hehehe

7. Dec 1, 2011
    AL

AL Almost Self-Reliant

*shrug* I'm just saying that there aren't generally horses raised specifically for meat.

As a foster for horses seized / surrendered in my county, I am all for reopening the slaughter houses. My cousin witnessed 6 emaciated horses shot down by rangers in the Ocala forest because people dump horses there constantly. He went to an auction with a buddy and when they got back to the truck, there were 2 horses IN the trailer, fully tacked up. Nobody claimed them, nobody came back to teh truck for them... just dumped.

8. Dec 1, 2011
    FarmerChick

FarmerChick Super Self-Sufficient

Thats just crazy AL.
    It is happening around here also.

9. Dec 1, 2011
    rebecca100

rebecca100 Almost Self-Reliant

All I can say is around here people are GIVING horses away. That's a LOT of free meat especially when people are already hitting tough times..... I can see good coming out of it.

10. Dec 1, 2011
    Bettacreek

Bettacreek Almost Self-Reliant

Ok, so this is probably going to sound cold-hearted to the extreme, but that's a gift there... Free tack and free meat...