Hot Flood

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
So, I finished decorating the little bit I was going to do in the front window for my granddaughters to see when they came trick or treating. I went outside to see how it looked (good) and then noticed the flood coming from under the garage door. Opened it up and hot water was pouring out of the overflow of the water heater. Turned off the water to the house (the water heater valve wouldn't shut off the water), and looked up on the internet to see what had happened.

Apparently the water heater blanket that the weatherization folks applied has raised my water temperature and this has blown out the temperature and pressure valve at the top of the overflow pipe. That's all I can figure.

So, now I have no water until Monday. I actually filled up some buckets so I can flush the toilet, but no water otherwise until Monday.

Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
So, I finished decorating the little bit I was going to do in the front window for my granddaughters to see when they came trick or treating. I went outside to see how it looked (good) and then noticed the flood coming from under the garage door. Opened it up and hot water was pouring out of the overflow of the water heater. Turned off the water to the house (the water heater valve wouldn't shut off the water), and looked up on the internet to see what had happened.

Apparently the water heater blanket that the weatherization folks applied has raised my water temperature and this has blown out the temperature and pressure valve at the top of the overflow pipe. That's all I can figure.

So, now I have no water until Monday. I actually filled up some buckets so I can flush the toilet, but no water otherwise until Monday.
Hate to say it, but it sounds more serious than that. Water heat is controlled by a thermostat. That happened at my mothers house and when I checked, I found a ruptured seam. It might just be a bad pressure relief valve. That would be easy.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think that's probably what it is. A temperature and pressure valve usually goes bad when the pressure builds up too high or the water heater temperature is set too high. The latter has been the case, it seems, since the weatherization crew installed the blanket. When I lift up on the valve, the water stops, but the valve will not stay in the upright position. When it falls, which it did not do before, the water starts again. I think that might demonstrate a bad valve, plus the location of the steady stream of water coming from the bottom of the overflow pipe.

For some reason this little speed bump (and Freemotion's duck was a good idea!!!) reminds me of my ex husband. He wasn't at all handy, and I have been getting power tools for Christmas since high school and have a fully outfitted work bench in the garage.

Anyway, once he wanted to hang a very substantial shelf (made from a 2x8) on the bedroom wall, but didn't want a large hole in the wall...such as a nail or an anchor would make. So, he basically inserted a series of straight pins half way into the wall (extending about 1/2" from the dry wall) and carefully rested his shelf on it. When it instantly tumbled to the ground and about 15 pins tore a line of holes in the wall, he didn't turn around, he just said "I can feel your 'I told you so', even if you never said it." Poor guy. He really couldn't do much of anything around the house. I never said a word about it, but I always felt bad for him.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I think that's probably what it is. A temperature and pressure valve usually goes bad when the pressure builds up too high or the water heater temperature is set too high. The latter has been the case, it seems, since the weatherization crew installed the blanket. When I lift up on the valve, the water stops, but the valve will not stay in the upright position. When it falls, which it did not do before, the water starts again. I think that might demonstrate a bad valve, plus the location of the steady stream of water coming from the bottom of the overflow pipe.

For some reason this little speed bump (and Freemotion's duck was a good idea!!!) reminds me of my ex husband. He wasn't at all handy, and I have been getting power tools for Christmas since high school and have a fully outfitted work bench in the garage.

Anyway, once he wanted to hang a very substantial shelf (made from a 2x8) on the bedroom wall, but didn't want a large hole in the wall...such as a nail or an anchor would make. So, he basically inserted a series of straight pins half way into the wall (extending about 1/2" from the dry wall) and carefully rested his shelf on it. When it instantly tumbled to the ground and about 15 pins tore a line of holes in the wall, he didn't turn around, he just said "I can feel your 'I told you so', even if you never said it." Poor guy. He really couldn't do much of anything around the house. I never said a word about it, but I always felt bad for him.
wow. that is so sad.
and i'm a little bit in awe.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
It was sad, Punkin. I think somewhere in his life he just gave up trying. He didn't mind spending money to get things fixed, but they weren't hard things to do. I had to hang back a lot so as not to lord it over him, but he wasn't dumb. He was a federal cop and was gone a lot, so I fixed things when they broke and he wasn't home. I don't think he knew. I just couldn't spend the money!!!

Nov 1 would have been our sixth anniversary. It's always an interesting day. He sort of "disappeared" after we had been married three months. I never saw him again, and never knew why he divorced me. It took several years to get over that. I loved him very much. I did hear from his step mother that he went to counseling for a couple of years, but that's all I know.

We got married at the beach, and last year on Nov 1 I went to the spot where we married and hopefully got some closure. Part of me still wonders what on earth happened. Was there something I did wrong? Didn't I support and encourage him enough? Didn't he feel loved? Boy, I did my best, but maybe it wasn't enough.

Been reading BeeKissed's desire to forgive her family, and I hope I have forgiven Ray, because I really want to. But the heart still hurts sometimes; it's hard not to know why.

Sorry...I didn't mean to get goopy. It's just the time of year I guess.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Big Daddy, I really don't know what to say to you. I don't think we are destined to be best friends.