Hot Flood

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
It was sad, Punkin. I think somewhere in his life he just gave up trying. He didn't mind spending money to get things fixed, but they weren't hard things to do. I had to hang back a lot so as not to lord it over him, but he wasn't dumb. He was a federal cop and was gone a lot, so I fixed things when they broke and he wasn't home. I don't think he knew. I just couldn't spend the money!!!

Nov 1 would have been our sixth anniversary. It's always an interesting day. He sort of "disappeared" after we had been married three months. I never saw him again, and never knew why he divorced me. It took several years to get over that. I loved him very much. I did hear from his step mother that he went to counseling for a couple of years, but that's all I know.

We got married at the beach, and last year on Nov 1 I went to the spot where we married and hopefully got some closure. Part of me still wonders what on earth happened. Was there something I did wrong? Didn't I support and encourage him enough? Didn't he feel loved? Boy, I did my best, but maybe it wasn't enough.

Been reading BeeKissed's desire to forgive her family, and I hope I have forgiven Ray, because I really want to. But the heart still hurts sometimes; it's hard not to know why.

Sorry...I didn't mean to get goopy. It's just the time of year I guess.
Goopy is o.k. with me. I kind of prefer it. :hugs

That's a pretty unusual life experience, and your attitude is pretty amazing. I know that God will use this experience for the best as you allow Him.

I hope this weekend/week is another step in your healing.

~Beth~

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, I don't have the cry baby eyes I usually have the night before, so I think it may be better this year !

Yes, it is a very unusual experience. I seem to attract them!!! That's okay...maybe someone else had one less wierd thing because I had a few extra!

The Father has been awesome as I have turned to Him more and more over the years. Every so often He just does this amazing thing or that...just to remind me that He loves me. I don't deserve any of it. Which is what makes it grace !!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It could always have been so much worse.

A few years back my D1 was doing a thing I have done a thousand times - filling her washer with a load of clothes before bed.

She was on the phone with me and she told me she thought she smelled gas. I told her to hang up and go outside and immediately call the gas company. She had not made it outside even when she started screaming "FIRE!". Her filling washer had caused the hot water heater to light up to heat more water. This in turn ignited a small gas leak in the in coming pipe and caught the whole water heater and eventually the furnace beside it on FIRE!

She was out of the house with all her animals in a flash and poor mom almost passed the fire truck on the way to her house. They got the gas off and all else was truly undamaged. I am so thankful that she had not gone on to bed before the water tank re-lit as it was located almost directly under her bedroom door! Makes me pause to think how many times I have thrown in a load of laundry and then gone on to bed.

The final bill was huge! Evidently the old gas pipes in the house were ran in copper - a huge code and safety violation. So her gas was "tagged out" by the gas company. We (D1 and I) had to completely re-run all her gas pipes (which took a couple of weeks but did save a bundle in the long run!), she had to buy a new furnace and a new hot water heater and the total amount was just barely over her large insurance deductible on the house so most of the money had to come out of pocket! To top it off this happened in November and left her without heat for almost a month. :barnie

She also had to handle the whole problem alone (except for momma) since her hubby is in the Navy and stationed out of state. (My hubby is great at some things home care is not one of them) Fortunately she was conditioned for the mess, by years of living with me in our old piece of junk house (which is no longer a piece of junk now) and was used to such small things as no water, no heat and lots of hard work.

As I stated earlier, I feel even in this situation we got of in GREAT shape with very little damage and no other losses. It does make you realize how dangerous those hot water heaters and other things we just "take for granted" can be. I am sure you will be able to sort out your little problem with few problems - other than maybe a few "spit baths" out of a pot of water heated on the stove for a day or so. ;) :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Lordy, I feel so grateful and so sad for her at the same time. Can't even imagine that. Sure glad she had help from her loving parents! Thank you for giving me that perspective. I feel better about my teensy inconvenience !

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I am sorry about the broken water heater. I hope that it will be an easy fix! That kind of thing is never fun!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you, Dace. It's just a minor inconvenience, and it will get fixed tomorrow. It is so nice to be supported. Thank you.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am camping ! LOL Actually, I can turn it on to fill buckets and then turn it right off again so there is no leaking. It'll all work out fine. I turned off the gas to the heater, so if there IS any water coming in and leaking out, at least it is not costing me to heat it !

It was funny getting up in the middle of the night, as old women are wont to do, and wondering why there was no flushing ! (TMI???)

Today I am actually spending most of the day doing my REAL job! What are the odds? LOL

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Two things. Yesterday passed like any old day, no crying. I think my new way of life helped with that.

Second, the Low Income Senior Repair Technician from our city just replaced the Temperature and Pressure valve for a $9 part.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am glad that you made it thru the day without tears :hugs

and REALLY glad to hear that your repair was only $9! That is awesome~ :celebrate