HOT HOT and more HOT

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
south-east iowa here. it has benn 100-102 the last 3 days. but they are calling for chance of storms tonight.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, it sounds like much of the country is well into summer. Must be nice (or maybe not; I don't deal with heat all that well) It has been cloudy the last couple of days, with a few showers. I think it got into the low 70's today. I'm sure that summer will get here sometime, but it isn't here yet.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Summer's here and it's too hot!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All the storms went north of us. So I guess I will keep watering the garden.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
All the storms went north of us. So I guess I will keep watering the garden.
I watched them go right around us yesterday. Wish someone would figure out how to close that giant umbrella over us!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ORChick said:
So, it sounds like much of the country is well into summer. Must be nice (or maybe not; I don't deal with heat all that well) It has been cloudy the last couple of days, with a few showers. I think it got into the low 70's today. I'm sure that summer will get here sometime, but it isn't here yet.
ORChick, you're getting the same general weather pattern (clouds and precip) that we're getting up north of you.

A couple years ago, the year proceeded a bit more typically. I had bought materials to build a large L-shaped deck on the east and south of our house. Not sure exactly what date I started it on, but by the time I had the concrete footings and the deck's framing done, and was starting to put the decking boards on, we were into actual summer. On the south side of the house, the heat of the sun was reflected onto me by the siding on the house. It was as high as 104* there, and the work was (of course) physical. I was dehydrating like crazy!... and had to keep a bottle of cold water within reach at all times.

From where we sit right now, with the cloud and heavy rains over the last week or so, it's hard to imagine summer days like that. :/

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
ORChick said:
ORChick, you're getting the same general weather pattern (clouds and precip) that we're getting up north of you.

A couple years ago, the year proceeded a bit more typically. I had bought materials to build a large L-shaped deck on the east and south of our house. Not sure exactly what date I started it on, but by the time I had the concrete footings and the deck's framing done, and was starting to put the decking boards on, we were into actual summer. On the south side of the house, the heat of the sun was reflected onto me by the siding on the house. It was as high as 104* there, and the work was (of course) physical. I was dehydrating like crazy!... and had to keep a bottle of cold water within reach at all times.

From where we sit right now, with the cloud and heavy rains over the last week or so, it's hard to imagine summer days like that. :/
You are getting it a lot worse than we are - always do. S. Oregon is drier than N. Oregon is drier than Washington is drier than BC. Weather forecast says it should get into the 80's later this week - but we will be spending a few days in Seattle, so may not notice :rolleyes: It WILL get warmer, its only a question of when - and then I will complain some more, because I really prefer things in the 70's, low 80's. ;)

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well there were storms again last night. Thunder and lightning like crazy. Thought when I get up I will check the rain guage and see 1/2 inch or more at least. And puddles.

Got up and looked outside...

Barely damp ground. After 4-5 hrs of thunderstorms. Grrrr. Once again the bulk of the storms went to the north of us.

*Sigh*

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We get that a lot, too. Something about this area, the storms seem to split and go north and south of us.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nothing here in SC but hot...hot...and more hot. 108.1 today....heat index was 118. I went out back and looked at my gardens......they're looking really bad right now. Pathetic even. I think tomorrow morning, I will water some of it. Too late for the rest of it.