Hotdog and hamburger buns

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would love to hear of tried and true recipes other people have used! I made both of these recipes yesterday and the hamburger one was definitely better. My sil and her girls came over for a BBQ, and when she saw what I had made she laughed a bit and said "I didn't think anyone would bother to make those when you can just buy them at the store!". Of course it would have been easier to buy them, but imagine all the fillers and whatnot we didn't eat last night...

I used two different recipes for my hotdog and hamburger buns just to see what I liked better. The hamburger bun recipe was very easy and is really tasty. I shaped mine the way they said to, but next time I make them, I will flatten the balls after I form them, to get a more traditional hamburger bun shape. I might also make 8 instead of 12, because the buns were pretty small, though flattening them might make them big enough around to stick with 12.

Hamburger Buns
2 Tbs active dry yeast
1 C plus 2Tbs warm water
1/3 C vegetable oil
1/4 C sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3- 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add oil and sugar; let stand for 5mins. Add the egg, salt, and enough flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5mins. Do not let rise. Divide into 12 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
Cover and let rest for 10mins. Bake at 425F for 8-12mins. or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

The hotdog one takes longer just because it has to rise and because shaping takes longer. I didn't follow their directions on how to shape, I just found it too confusing and difficult. I shaped mine using the heel of my hand to make each piece of dough into a rectangle, then rolling it up and pinching all the seams so that it looked like a fat cigar made of dough. After eating a couple of these, I decided they are decent, but too hard for my taste. I would like them to be softer.

Hotdog Buns
1 Tbs sugar
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/4 C warm water
1 C warm milk
2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tsp salt
3 - 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, combine sugar, yeast, and warm water. Stir to dissolve and let set until bubbly, about 5 mins. Add in milk, vegetable oil, and salt. While stirring, gradually add the flour until the dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-4 mins, until smooth and supple. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, approx. 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.

Shaping:
Gently remove the dough onto a floured surface. Flatten it slightly into a large rectangle. Divide dough into thrids and divide each piece into thirds again. Cover unworked dough with a clean dishtowel while shaping. Gently flatten dough into a long rectangle. fold left and right sides to meet in the center. Fold the top and bottom sides towards the center. Keep pinching the edges together, pulling th dough into a tight roll shape. Repeat until you have 9 rolls.

Place buns on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with a dishtowel. Let rise for 30 mins. Preheat oven to 400F. If desired, brush buns with egg wash. Bake for 20mins, remove to a rack to cool before slicing.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Will you just smile when those hotdog and hamburger buns cost 6-8 dollar a pkg? Good for you!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OH thank you for posting the recipes! Just one more thing I need to add to my ever growing list of things to try!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
To be honest, I just use rolls (crusty) for hamburger buns, and have a couple of times made hotdog/sausage buns using my pizza dough recipe. The latter is a bit oddly pale but has that squishy white-bread kind of softness to it - you might try it if you're still experimenting.

Pat

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Homemade hot dog buns:

1 1/2 c. wheat flour
1 1/2 c. white flour
1 1/2 T. sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 c. vegetable oil
1 c. warm water
optional: italian seasoning or other herbs

Prepare a batch of dough by hand or using your bread machine. Then divide the dough into 8 equal parts, & roll each piece into 6-in long tubes. Sprinkle with seasonings or herbs if desired. Cover & allow to rise 20-30 mins or until doubled in size. Bake at 350 for 15 mins or until done. Allow the buns to cool; then cut a slit in the top of each one, fill & serve.

I will look for my hamburger bun recipe & post later.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is almost 1 and I am bored. tired of housework, don't feel like going out, cleaned out some drawers, hung laundry, etc. and NOW I AM going to make the hamburger buns right now.

Be back to let you know what happens. Thanks! I hope I do well...:)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I use the recipe from America's Best Bread Machine Recipes. I've tried the hamburger buns but haven't made hot dog buns yet. I'll type in later if you want. I would think you could use the recipe even if you don't have or don't want to use a bread machine.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
It is almost 1 and I am bored. tired of housework, don't feel like going out, cleaned out some drawers, hung laundry, etc. and NOW I AM going to make the hamburger buns right now.

Be back to let you know what happens. Thanks! I hope I do well...:)
Karen did I read this correctly? "hung laundry" as in on a clothesline?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I was wondering the same thing! FC, did you finally find a solution that worked for you?

How did the buns turn out?????

I think I'll try this and freeze them, seems we always need a bun when we don't have any, lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Pam
YES YOU HEARD RIGHT! I hung laundry...and it froze on the line darn near..HA HA----cold wind yesterday, howling and that those sweatshirts and things came off the line stiff...had to put in the dryer for only a minute.

With Tony on layoff I decided to cut down on dryer use....EVEN if I hate stiffer type clothes. Time to bite the bullet...HA HA

I knew you would be surprised! HA HA HA

Gotta do what I gotta do! :)

Of course the line sagged so bad, I had to re-tie this morning. The things flapping in the wind freaked the goats out...they wouldn't come to the house fence..HA HA HA...they thought I went mad.

I went near the fence and tied the line between 2 trees, they came running thinking I was throwing apples or yard scrap over the fence to eat.....then I hung those clothes and they started flapping and all I saw was rear ends hightailing it out of there..HA HA HA

so it was fun! :)