Hotdog and hamburger buns

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA Pioneergirl
you caught that too...hanging laundry.
Not a fan really except for sheets outside and such...but I am on a mission to save money. MORE saving money than saving the planet from dryer ozone problems or whatever..LOL--but I guess I accomplish both.

Money tight with Tony on layoff....time to step up for me!
UGH
LOL-LOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh I didn't make the buns yet
out of yeast ---kill me right
experimented with baking bread about 2 weeks ago and used it all.....million trips to the store it seems and have always forgot to buy more.

so in a day or 2 will have more and will make these buns definitely.

always something that stops me! used to it by now..HA HA

I will make them soon and post how I did....probably not good for me but will try. At least I got the dogs as a garbage disposal if needed.....but if kinda bad, I can tear them into chunks and make croutons. I don't think I can screw up a crouton..HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my posts are posting twice and getting that error message
UGH
oh well...freaky forum halloween trick I guess.LOL

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
If the burger buns turned out well, why not just use that recipe for HD buns?

I am adding this to my 'gotta try' list!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use the same recipe for both types of buns. I usually make the dough in my machine and do the first rise, shape and rise while the oven is heating. When mine turn out harder than I like them , I add a little more water next time. We live in high elevation so I always have to adjust.

Hamburger/ hot Dog Buns

1/2C.+2T.water
1 egg
3/4t.salt
4t. dry milk (or use 1/4C. milk &1/4C+1 1/2T.water-TOTAL LIQUID!)
2 1/4C.flour
2t.yeast 2T. butter
3T.sugar

Put all ing. in machine in order your machine takes(or make dough by hand, mixer, processor) Check for proper hydration. Form into buns, let rise while preheating oven 375* Brush with egg wash add seeds if wanted(Iadd dehyderated onions sometimes). Bake 12-14 min. for hot dog buns, 14-16 min. for hamburger buns.
Makes 10 hamburger buns or 8 hot dog buns.

We do not buy any baked goods anymore. Unless I'm sick and unable to bake.

Monica

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
cknmom said:
Put all ing. in machine in order your machine takes(or make dough by hand, mixer, processor) Check for proper hydration. Form into buns, let rise while preheating oven 375* Brush with egg wash add seeds if wanted(Iadd dehyderated onions sometimes). Bake 12-14 min. for hot dog buns, 14-16 min. for hamburger buns.
Makes 10 hamburger buns or 8 hot dog buns.

Monica
Do you let it rise once before forming into buns?
These sound delish!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Monica,

I just made your recipe, followed directions on did not let the dough rise...just rolled them out and let them sit while the oven preheated. They did not rise enough to put a dog inside :(

Can you let me know what I did wrong? The flavor is good, just not big enough or fluffy enough. I think I will try again but let the dough rise.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is slightly different than what you first had written about the hot dog and hamburger buns, but if I have any left over during the week I save them for making garlic bread.

I don't buy alot of buns, but if I have one left over I hate to throw it out so I use it when I am making something like lasagna or spagetti. Any dinner that garlic bread is good with.

It's simple really. All I do is open the buns, disconnect the upper and lower level if it's a hot dog bun, butter them and sprinkle garlic powder on them, and the kids love it with cheese melted on it, so I get one slice of cheese and break it in tiny peices and put on the bread. Broil it until cheese and butter is melted.

I know this sounds corny, but my family loves this better than any store bought you could buy.:D

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. While I am heating the oven I set the pan of buns on top of the stove with a towel over them and usually they are risen fine by the time the oven is ready.

I live in high alt. and we keep our house cool(heater is set at 61*) so sometimes I have problems rising dough, I usually have to heat the oven up and rise it in there. Yesterday when making foccocia, I did all my rising in front of the fire as we had snow yesterday.

Sometimes mine don't rise like I would like them to either, when that happens we have our hamburgers/hot dogs just on our plates and I use the buns for snack pizzas.

I cut them in half, put sauce on them, top with cheese and anything I have (usually leftover things), put them in the oven for a few mins. Yummy!!

Monica