housing crash again?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Somewhere around here I have a copy of a British WW2 manual on chicken keeping. Chicken feed was rationed and allowed rations were not enough to actually keep a bird alive. It talked about how to extend it. A good part of the recommended filler was cooked potatoes, especially non-green peels.

Kitchen scraps were tossed into a pot and cooked until soft before giving to chickens.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we'll see.

i'm thinking things will be ok. there's a lot of people who want houses who can't get them so there is built up demand. right now is a great time to refinance while the interest rates are low.

i always try to keep debt as low as possible so i'm not worried too much about what interest rates might do, but if the rates increase a lot then it would likely put a lot of pressure on the stock market and people would see the value of their retirement funds drop. for me i don't think it would matter either way as if one goes up the other goes down but it also increases my income so might be a wash there.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now we do use our 2 credit cards. Which I pay fully every 2 weeks. They are cash back cards, so it pays us to use them. I won't have a card through anywhere other than our credit union. If there is a store data breach, canceling the one card isn't a hardship, unlike it can be for a debit card. Second low limit card is only used for Amazon and the other rare online purchases.

Even back when we had money issues when he was stationed in Virginia Beach (it's expensive to live there) we may have carried balances and had loans, but we always were careful on extra payments. We've always had very good credit even if it did take almost 3 years to get our feet under us after he got a civilian job.

Hubby used to say I thought way to far ahead on things, but it's proven to be accurate too many times.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reading all of these replies, makes me so sad, I want to cry. I just got back from town. Gas is way up, $2.59 a gallon for 87 octane, auto parts store oil is crazy high, chicken feed up $2.00 for 50lb bag. Baby chicks $2.99 each.

But on a positive note... restaurants are back open for dine in as of today.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My poultry does free range every day, all day. They eat bugs, grasses, keep manure broken down and flies to a minimum. They get supplemented feed 3/4 of yr to keep them coming and help with tossed food or damaged growing vegs but, just tossed treats. Pigs get most, when I have any pigs working. But winter they get full feed + free range. I do raise some of their feed...small grains, BOSS, radishes, etc. But not enough to not need to buy. I generally keep 60-70 laying hens. This year there will be some corn dedicated areas for that. Some will be sold for decorations to various shops -- those pretty colored types. :) pumpkins will run thru them, to use as feed and more sales. It's a pain for walking but, both are used when drying off...it will work I hope. First yr to do but, looking at a little farm income or cost of support. I need a future retirement job around here. :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
if you are thinking for the longer term get some oak trees going for acorn/mast production feed for pigs. some types of acorns are even much better for people food too in a pinch.

Some oak trees were bred for better production just for pig food. I can't remember the varieties now. One of my food history books talked about pork meat quality depending on food. Acorns make for the best according to it.