housing crash again?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At some point there will be massive foreclosures with the job markets now in limbo. If you can refi at better rates do it. Some people can't.

I've normally kept a garden but didn't do much a few years back. Have been back at and increasing each year for past 3. Same with canning. I'm back to the "eat what you grow" mentality. My grocery buys are minimal. I cook mostly from scratch, raise chicken, goat, occasional pig....so meat, eggs, milk, cheese, butter, cream and veggies from farm. I share with fam & friends...they with me. My fruit trees are growing.

And this year is one when I will give growing more of my own animal feed a greater importance. Yeah, that trip to the feed store is killer! I've done a little each yr but, will greatly increase efforts this year. Some will also be local farm bought due to volume of grains, etc. Winter always costly as summer has plenty of bugs, grass, forage.

I remain thankful that I can do these things...know how, have the farm, animals and ability to pay for my basics. Yep, fuel costs increasing daily. And BOSS went up $5 a 40# bag one day a couple weeks ago at TSC! One jump!!! 🤪 will look harder at raising mealworms this year...toyed with idea for a time but, protein power may win this yr. :idunno. It's a chicken thing.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's my receipt from RK yesterday. Prices jumped way up since my last visit, I think a week ago maybe a little more than a week, I can't remember the exact day.
IMG_20210117_114246685~2.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is a good place to add a resource of mine.

thank you! i can get lost in such places for days at a time, like a good library/book. :)

here is one i have which i've found interesting and useful, and in the context of my last remark i just spent an hour reading some bits of the blogs which were not there before. i'll start with an aside, because, well, why not? :)

specifically i found this one very interesting:

note two things, while the person has admittedly read a lot more of the biodynamics stuff than i ever will and claims to be an interested party to soil sciences, he mostly ignores the basic concept of carrying capacity of any area and the related subsoil and thus down to the bedrock. if you are looking at something perpetually sustainable without major inputs you must be aware of these concepts. the connection between the subsoil and bedrock and the topsoil and that which is above it is either mechanical forces or life itself, that is why those who garden must deal with humus, but also the life which needs the humus and in the main case some decent earthworms which go too and fro from both ends of the realm.

oh and i must also give plants and fungi/bactera themselves some credit because these too can also weather mineral rock deposits.

and now back from the aside we get to the link for the main page: