How about a SHOP section on the forum?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Joel_BC asked me about one and I think it's a good idea. Maybe we could use the area for welding, cutting, blade sharpening, tool repair, etc? Maybe more?

There are a lot of good posts that are buried here on the DIY section and the Everything Else Sufficient area, probably other areas, too.
Thanks, Marianne. Yeah, I sent Nifty an idea for a forum called something like The Shop (or Shop Equipment & Skills, something along that line) - something that I feel is a bit different from the DIY forum.

This would a place for discussion of tools, equipment, skill sets, shop design, shop management, and cost saving in the shop. It would be for the homestead mechanic, the woodworker, the metal fabricator, the farm equipment fixer, the tinkerer, the contraption builder, the home-based inventor. And others. For people who have "deep skills" but also for those who wish to develop deep skills of this sort.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, Joel was the one that first suggested the SHOP section and asked me who to PM. He has some good info and knowledge to share and I'm sure others will, too.

I'm sure there will be more responses when some of us have had enough turkey and a nap.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Joel! I was typing as you posted! As usual..... :lol:

I think the topics you outlined are perfect.

Now it's time for me to eat turkey and nap...

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i'd totally be game for something like this.

my neighbor gave us his old (~30 yrs) scythe, and naturally it was rusted and dinged up pretty bad after having set in his barn loft for the last couple of decades. i was able to make it usably sharp by just running it over a belt sander, but i know that's not the proper way. i don't have any "real" scythe sharpening tools though.

i've actually been considering getting a small forge and teaching myself knife and tool making, but, i haven't committed to the idea yet.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im game too! I have all kinds of good antique tools I use often.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't see this thread for some reason. holiays I guess.

yes I am interested also. I metal detect and find metal things I want to clean up etc. I know nothing about cleaning metals and things so I sure would be interested.

There must be good info out there from the people that love this type of stuff. :thumbsup

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nifty said:
<snip>

So, I think this sounds like an interesting idea! If there is enough interest, discussion, and there is a clear line of demarcation between topics, it could be a great idea.

Keep fleshing it out!
Ok, then let's flesh it out. Here's some questions to help you convince Nifty of the idea.

What specific types of discussions should go in this section?

What are some ideas for potential names for the category? Shop by itself could be confused with store, so it would probably need to be fleshed out more. Blacksmith Shop?

Where are the majority of the current threads that discuss these topics and approximately how many current topics are already out there on the forum?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Questions on using, locating, maintaining, repairing of the tools.

I think just The Sjop would be fine with a little bit of info underneath explaining......

I also think we need an animal and garden section.........

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
elevan said:

What are some ideas for potential names for the category? Shop by itself could be confused with store, so it would probably need to be fleshed out more. Blacksmith Shop?
Personally, I feel that "Blacksmith Shop" is a tad too specific... it implies the presence of a forge, and working with hot iron or steel. Doesn't really imply working with aluminum, copper, wood, rubber, or plastic - and doesn't imply nailing, screwing, or gluing things together.

My suggstions up in post #11 included the name "Shop Equipment & Skills" - but I'm not stuck on that.

I've thought of it as a place for info exchange on tools, equipment, shop skill sets, shop design, shop management, and cost saving in the shop. Could include discussion of good layout and lighting. Or maintaining your lawnmower or chainsaw or weedwacker. Repairing gardening hand tools. Making a picnic table. Making the best choice when buying a cordless electric drill. Buying second-hand equipment. Stuff like that. We could include links to appropriate instructional videos downloadable for free.

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
elevan said:

Personally, I feel that "Blacksmith Shop" is a tad too specific... it implies the presence of a forge, and working with hot iron or steel. Doesn't really imply working with aluminum, copper, wood, rubber, or plastic - and doesn't imply nailing, screwing, or gluimg things together.

My suggstions up in post #11 included the name "Shop Equipment & Skills" - but I'm not stuck on that.

I've thought of it as a place for info exchange on of tools, equipment, shop skill sets, shop design, shop management, and cost saving in the shop. Could include discussion of good layout and lighting. Or maintaining your lawnmower or chainsaw or weedwacker. Repairing gardening hand tools. Making a picnic table. Making the best choice when buying a cordless electric drill. Buying second-hand equipment. Stuff like that. We could include links to appropriate instructional videos downloadable for free.
Great feedback! My name suggestion was just to make y'all think :) I think that "Shop Equipment & Skills" spells out what the proposed category is nicely.

So where is the majority of the current discussion on these topics? In the Everything Else section?