How about a SHOP section on the forum?

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
Reference books (buy second-hand, or borrow from the library, or buy new) are a good idea. But actually, for a lot of things these days, I tend to go first to YouTube.
oh yes, i'm very familiar with youtube tutorials etc.

the problem with youtube though is that you can take almost any given subject - like laying tiles - and you'll find 20+ videos of people showing how they did theirs, but they'll all be different and rarely will there be an explanation as to why they did X or Y. this isn't -always- true, but, i just like being able to discuss back and forth in a forum type environment with somebody before i commit to attempting to replicate their success hehe. ideally, a combination of video/photos and discussion with someone experienced is what usually works my courage up enough to try something.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
. the problem with youtube though is that you can take almost any given subject - like laying tiles - and you'll find 20+ videos of people showing how they did theirs, but they'll all be different and rarely will there be an explanation as to why they did X or Y. this isn't -always- true, but, i just like being able to discuss back and forth in a forum type environment with somebody before i commit to attempting to replicate their success hehe. ideally, a combination of video/photos and discussion with someone experienced is what usually works my courage up enough to try something.
I agree that discussion is really helpful. That's why I've supported the idea of a "Shop" (now "Tool Shed") forum here on SS.

On another thread, I talked about my process of learning welding. I didn't have a teacher available, so I relied on books, Youtube, and on-line forums. All three were valuable for me, each in a slightly different way.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
remember also we are building skills 'when the grid might go down'
so print out or compile your own 'what if' and 'old timey ways to get stuff done' books
not total doom and gloom but a resourse of hands on info is important.

cause if it hits the fan big time, we have to have this stuff in our hands and available to use. heck I have lost more tips and great ideas in my memory then I care to admit.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Great idea. This would be why I have boxes of how - to books in print, can be read by sunlight or candlelight.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
enough to survive without going overboard is a good thing :)

I remember Nanny telling this and that, what her mom did in 'her days' and more and to this day I can't remember almost any of it yet I know there was old ways that were great yet forgotten. My Mom talking about how Grandma cooked for them, made a good life on very little. And then forgetting. truly. it is sad but now I realize I need to hang onto some of this info.

while the net and people and word of mouth is great, heck nowadays I gotta write it down lol
their parents and their parents lived it. it was common info. but us in this age, if we have to go back, keep some smart old timey info on hand.

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm working on a cookbook for my kids and grandkids and nieces and nephews. I spent more time with my Grandmother than my sisters did. Granted the great cookbook project hasn't had much added in 2011, but a few of the recipes (from scratch) are in circulation. And all of my girls know how to make egg noodles and bread from scratch. It's a start..