How About Quartz Heaters?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
sylvie said:
That's what I suspected; sales spin, costly to run, one "breadbox" not really heating my large 850 sq' great room.
DH has a flyer on the heaters and I said I wanted to run it by those on SS before considering buying one (or nine plus!).
Your great room is almost the size of my entire house, on a few occasions I have warmed my 24'x14' living room with the 1500 watt heater but it just takes the chill out and will not usually get it much above 50F when 20F outside even running 24/7. A room that size would need two space heaters to get warm and much more money. I usually don't heat my house and since updating the windows and insulation last years it almost never drops below 40F in here when 20F at night.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Exceptional information XPC

I have the $39 oil one also. Works great for the bathroom for that chilly morning!
I usually don't heat the bathroom unless I need a shower so last year what I did was buy a foam toilet seat so you don't have to wait for the room to warm up. It really makes a big difference in the initial arctic shock.

Reaction score
xpc said:
I usually don't heat my house and since updating the windows and insulation last years it almost never drops below 40F in here when 20F at night.
Toasty.

Those foam toilet seats are comfy. Takes longer for my legs to fall asleep while reading.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
xpc said:
I usually don't heat my house and since updating the windows and insulation last years it almost never drops below 40F in here when 20F at night.
Toasty.

Those foam toilet seats are comfy. Takes longer for my legs to fall asleep while reading.
Ha Ha! it's toasty to me - I am a well seasoned Wisconsin winter camper and do not think you would like me to expound on the technique of holding onto a tree with one hand while scouring with a snowball with the other - the foam seat is truly a treat.

Since this topic has seemed to stray I will also add that I do sport long underwear from December to March while in the house.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The foam seat sounds like a luxury! :)

yea the artic shock is rough! LOL

you guys are funny!

(yes we do thermals here too when it is chilly at night. works great to stay toasty---lived in those suckers when I lived up North!)

But for me being older, I need my warmth--or I will perish. hahaha

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
The foam seat sounds like a luxury! :)

(yes we do thermals here too when it is chilly at night. works great to stay toasty---lived in those suckers when I lived up North!)
But for me being older, I need my warmth--or I will perish. hahaha
Got the seat from Fred's for $1.99 as a defect, stock boy must of cut the lid while opening the boxes but I have never had the lid down in over a year. I also estimate that it saves me $20 a month in heating costs.

I too am getting a little less resistant to the cold as I age but the KY winters are mild and I can take the cold better than the heat plus it is cheaper and easier to heat a house then to cool it.

I also have camouflaged long underwear, which makes no sense to me because I only had to run outside once last year in them when the toilet bowl froze.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA
Good deal for $1.99--can't ever go wrong there!
Camo thermals. Tony has them. He loves everything camo!!!

We were on a trip and found those drop back one piece drawers. I know they have a name but can't think of it. They are bright red. Tony and I both bought a pair. We do wear them. The drop back is a plus!! :)
I think they may be called a union suit??

Yea being NC I only have about 2 months that makes me so cold. Jan/Feb is tough here for us Southerners. And I used to ski all the time up North...now the thought of "real" winter in snow etc. makes me shiver!

I truly understand why people move south as they get older!! :) HA

One thing I like is those months there is no heat or AC. Just windows open, fresh air and decent temps! And no huge power bill. That is happening right now for me. No heat, no AC and it suits me fine!

The inside of the house gets so hot sometimes and it is so cool outside, so I bought 2 very small fans and stick in 2 strategic windows and it pulls in the cool air. Works wonders.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
HA HA HA
Good deal for $1.99--can't ever go wrong there!
Camo thermals. Tony has them. He loves everything camo!!!

We were on a trip and found those drop back one piece drawers. I know they have a name but can't think of it. They are bright red. Tony and I both bought a pair. We do wear them. The drop back is a plus!! :)
I think they may be called a union suit??.
Union suit is correct and that flap can be a life saver or life maker depending on how you use it..

FarmerChick said:
The inside of the house gets so hot sometimes and it is so cool outside, so I bought 2 very small fans and stick in 2 strategic windows and it pulls in the cool air. Works wonders.
Open a west window and put a fan in a east window and set it spinning at 10pm and your house will be cool by morning. Just make sure to close everything up by 9 am or you will get all the humility that comes with the evaporating morning dew.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL on the union suit.

Thanks alot....that is the kind of info I needed to make this house cooler!
I will do what you said! thanks!

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
LOL on the union suit.

Thanks alot....that is the kind of info I needed to make this house cooler!
I will do what you said! thanks!
My ex father- inlaw never trusted me but said you can't fool around with three pairs of underwear on !!!

I get up early and if you do too then close the windows by 6 am, I only said nine because I know how you girls stay up all night sharing recipes and stories.