How are you an expert?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's some pictures of my sheep!

This is Lady Baa Baa with her lamb, Lily who joined the flock and had a ram lamb 2 months ago.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

This is our grand daughter with Snowflake, who had a ewe lamb a month ago.
IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

This is Miranda LAMBert with her ram lamb. She also had a ewe lamb that was born with all her organs outside her body and I had to put her down. When I saw this, I snapped the pic, it was so cute and I needed the laugh.
Miranda's lamb 2016.JPG

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even when I lived in an apartment, I bought bushels of peas and corn to put in the freezer. I love to can, freeze and dehydrate the garden produce. It is so nice to open a jar, take a bag out of the freezer or pour some hot water over dehydrated hash browns and enjoy what we grew in the summer.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20170505_144342.jpg
20170318_110811.jpg
Okay I'm not an expert but this is my grape juice and strawberry preserves in the first picture and pickles in the second. What a comfort it is to know there is food in your house. I will be trying to get some grape jam made soon and grape jelly. Never tried grape jam before so it'll be interesting. With a housefull of teenagers and grands I know someone will eat something.

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been raising ducks for seven years, and have a keen interest in all things plant-related. And soil-related. I have certification in and a growing amount of experience inPermaculture design, especially for landscapes. Lately I have been wanting to apply those principles to the inside of the house, since that is where I spend the least time especially during the growing season.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Expert experimenter? I'll try anything once!

I'm proficient in Doctor Google and armchair psychology. :gig oh, wait, those don't count?
  • Homeschooling
  • Raising bottle lambs
  • Training animals (and maybe children)
  • Used to be non-professional expert in dog nutrition
  • Bona-fide dog grooming expert.... doesn't count for much here! LOL

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Call me a Jill of all trades and a Master of none, lol.

I guess I know a few things about goats, horses, dogs, gardens, canning and being frugal. Lotsa things I'd like to know more about - like goats, horses dogs gardens canning and being frugal, lol. My way of saying that the learning never ends and gleaning ideas, tips and wisdom from others is what this forum is about! Whether it be in a journal or a dedicated post - doesn't matter to me.

Way back in the day I learned to make homemade mayonnaise from Wannabefree's journal. I make it occasionally, even though DH still prefers Hellman's - argh! My mayonnaise "works" now, but doesn't have quite the "kick" that Hellman's does - what am I doing wrong @Wannabefree ?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not Farmfresh, but Katahdin are hair sheep, so shed their wool instead of needing shearing. I've had them and they are my favorite livestock ever....sweet, milky, fatten up on just browse, graze and hay and stay butterball fat on it, good mothers, naturally hardy, easy lambing, known for twinning.

Their wool tends to shed in sheets rather than in rags and tags like St. Croix sheep and it has a better wool quality than some hair breeds, but still not fine enough for good fleece.

Hair sheep don't smell like woolly breeds due to less lanolin in their fur/wool and their meat tastes better too....doesn't have that strong flavor or odor associated with wool breeds.

For ease of keeping and all around good qualities, they are my favorite breed. :love

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Their offspring are so soft, furry not wolly...like stuffed animals! And you don't have to cut off the tails, so they are adorable with those tails...going on the time, especially while nursing.

th

f0e8db8e1ba16752dddf0f07b3e60315.jpg

Meaty??? Yep! And they get and stay that way without feeding grains...in fact, they do better if you DON'T feed them grain.

New_Generation.jpg

d6b580836644793264d8e850faa2756c.jpg

They come in pretty colors!

th

2909384_orig.jpg

slide-mama01b.jpg

Lambs2013+Medium+Web+view.jpg

With tons of milk to use or feed up fat lambs...

5489442235_2395aacff4_z.jpg

12685817754_6cacc5c91a_m.jpg