How are you an expert?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We only have three acres, so we are using cattle panels as our primary fencing. We are in a suburban setting, so have a lot of neighbor dogs as well as coyotes that the sheep need protection from. However regular field fencing with electric on the outside to keep out the carnivores also works well. They really don't challenge the fences, but they DO rub on them when they are shedding so you need good secure fence posts.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh I want one of everything, with the excuse that just one will get lonely so I have to get two and then they breed and eleventy million animals and ten times that dollars later I think hmmm...maybe I should thin out a bit...chicken math...it applies to EVERYTHING!!!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last year that was the plan but the garden didn't turn out. I'm hoping if a garden gets planted this year it will do so much better and I'll be able to give canning/jarring a try.
I really should know how to can/jar seeing how my great-grandmother (passed away 1995) did a lot of canning/jarring when I was growing up in her household but I never wanted any part of it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year that was the plan but the garden didn't turn out. I'm hoping if a garden gets planted this year it will do so much better and I'll be able to give canning/jarring a try.

Yep, I did no garden last year. This year isn't look a whole lot better but, I do plan to get a small on in for own use. our canned things look great. It is so pretty to go into a cellar and see rows and rows of veggies, pickles, jams....lovely color & great food for winter. How can that be more than comforting?
A lot of work, a garden & preserving!! Also, fulfilling!! My visits were over 60-65 years ago! Can still "smell" the moist cellars -- one was in a basement, dirt floor, and other was dug into a hillside, wooden door & shelves.

Now that I think back on life then it is just AMAZING that they had gardens to feed themselves summer and all winter. Both hunted and often had a feeder pig. So, deer, rabbit, squirrel, possum, coon, chickens from the flocks, all became prizes. It was a time when both had large families (6 & 7 kids each) & sometimes no jobs. Your garden HAD to be in & producing. You HAD to preserve the food. One grands had NO electric, running water -- water bath canning on a wood stove! Wash clothes with lye soap, washboard, tubs of water. Plow with horse or mule. No vehicle. :old This was true even just 40 yrs ago. So, we CAN survive with less than current amenities. Poor & rich at one time.

I just started a thread "My hobby-Plastic Canvas needlepoint" under random ramblings. I'm curious if there's anybody else who has the same kind of hobby as me.

I like to do needlepoint, I use cloth. Used to do a lot on flights from VA to FL which I took EACH month for 8 yrs! I have a lot of Xmas decorations, LOL. It is soothing but, tedious. I'll check your thread.

One grandmother used to crochet -- doilies everywhere! Both did quilting out of necessity. One did more patterns but, one just was happy to piece enough fabric for a quilt.

I don't crochet or knit but, I am a good seamstress! Made family clothes for years....lot of clothes, doll clothes, prom dresses, wedding dresses, etc. I'm good at that.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20170514_105136.jpg
IMG_20170502_121630.jpg
There's a before (2nd pic) and after (1st pic).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok maybe I shouldn't use the word expert. I'm not one either. How about what are you better at than the rest of the stuff you're ok at? Lol!

I tried making laundry detergent but nothing came out very clean. Haven't tried to see what I did wrong. I want to learn how to make shampoo also. It's so expensive and what the heck are all those chemicals anyway? And why would I want them on my head?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother NOthing "wrong" just mayonnaise recipes vary greatly....mine is more designed to taste similar to Kraft mayo. Tweak it...I think Hellmans has a sweeter taste if I recall correctly so maybe add a pinch of sugar or honey? Mayo is simple. Break an egg, teaspoon of salt on the yolk, 2 teaspoons vinegar, blend WELL with a stick blender....only way I've ever got it to work well was a stick blender...then add a few DROPS of oil at a time while blending, keep adding oil, for one egg, it usually takes about a pint of oil, till it creates an emulsion, it should begin to thicken a bit with the first 1/3 cup of oil, and will continue to thicken as it blends and oil is being added. Stop adding oil when it's the consistency you want, then you can blend in herbs and spices and/or sugar/ sweetener if you wish. Fair warning....you can ruin a couple batches when you first start trying to get an emulsion, room temp egg is nest, duck eggs being thicker work very well....just keep trying!!! I got it on the second try, because first try I used a regular hand mixer. If you have a kitchen aide mixer, use the whisk on high speed does well also I've found.

Last edited: