How can I make a duck scarf, to protect my ducks neck from a drake?

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Why didn't you post this on BYC?
I think I did, all the DIY posts get buried in there. One person usually responds and then your post gets lost. I posted the feeder ball one, and one about chicken bandanas with the same idea in mind as this thread, and all of them had the same result, more people respond to them here.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's not likely that you can accomplish what you want, as the perimeters you need and the duck's neck design are not compatible, so just separating the drakes from the hens or providing enough mating opportunities for a drake that a single duck isn't getting over mated will likely help more than anything else. Usually things like this are more easily prevented by giving a male enough females or decreasing the number of males in the flock.

If there were such an item that was effective, it would be for sale right now....especially on BYC. ;)

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's not likely that you can accomplish what you want, as the perimeters you need and the duck's neck design are not compatible, so just separating the drakes from the hens or providing enough mating opportunities for a drake that a single duck isn't getting over mated will likely help more than anything else. Usually things like this are more easily prevented by giving a male enough females or decreasing the number of males in the flock.

If there were such an item that was effective, it would be for sale right now....especially on BYC. ;)
Agreed, I had a feeling.... I am asking for a friend, but sh tis hoping to get more space for more hens next year, so she was looking for something in the mean time. Thanks!

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah I am super late coming on here and the question I had was what was the ratio of drakes to hens? I go 1:5 or even as much as 1:7 with good results. Drakes are rapists. True story. I have seen them attacking ducklings to try to force the hens to accept breeding again. If I am really on top of things I sometimes put Dad in jail a few days before I expect babies. Too many drakes and the girls are over stressed.

Latest posts