How cool! Make your own Viking shoes & other types of footwear

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:gig I've got the tire shoes already, bought them in Africa on honeymoon! :gig I'll NEVER wear these suckers out!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Very interesting!

We have some elk hide.. maybe I should try this.. I already have moccasin boots but the viking one's might be something to experiment with.

A good way to get leather is to recycle off of old coats and leather items at thrift stores as well.

Would rubber from tires melt well? they have those rubber coated gloves, I'm sure you could do the same to coat some boots to make them water proof.

I wanted to add, I've heard of these sandals before;

http://www.gurkees.com/?gclid=CMPw3Orf3p4CFSIjagodARezig

I bet if you got creative you could make your own or even combine it with the tire sole sandals.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Ha ha . . . no not anymore . . . but they seemed to migrate into the barn when fall hit. They are gone now, thankfully. Rats are gross.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Very interesting!

A good way to get leather is to recycle off of old coats and leather items at thrift stores as well.
I was thinking the same thing. There is so much great leather and coats at my goodwill. This sounds like a perfect Christmas break project for my kids. We could make all 3 of them shoes from probably one coat. Maybe even find something for the bottoms. Hummmm??? Do you need to have those leather tools or can an awl and hammer make the holes? I have never hand stiched leather before.

Those Rope sandals look cool. I wonder how the bottoms are made? could you use recycled rubber and the glue the sof rope to it? Was the rope slippery?

g

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
How do you NOT click on a thread with that for a title??? I would love those with a colorful pair of handknit socks!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I would say that it depends on how pliable the leather is. I've only ever used a thimble, an adequate thread and needle for stitching leather, but I'd suggest an awl if your kids are young, or is the leather is kind of tough.

I do not own any Gurkee sandals so I could tell you, sorry Gina.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
how bout these

1131_frugal_as_you_know_what.jpg

and who doesnt have soda bottles around

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There is so much great leather and coats at my goodwill.
I just bought a nice leather coat at goodwill for $30. I wont be making it in to shoes though...it is in WAY too good shape for that! I did find a suede long skirt for $4 a while back that I bought because it was a great hunk of leather. Ugly as sin for a skirt but great raw material. That might be a good candidate to make a pair of viking shoes.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tanks, I agree, that is a downer. You hate to see people have to stoop to that level, while you also have to marvel at the ingenuity of it.

My personnel manager has a pair of rope sandals. The bottoms of her's are coiled rope. She found them to be a little slippery & added hot glue dots to the bottom for traction. They take forEVER to dry though.

I got no idea on the weasel fat or the rat fat for that matter. I was taught by Grandma that beaver fat is waterproof. FWIW, beaver is actually quite tasty when its slow cooked.