How do a person's political views relate to self sufficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
To BBH - no I was answering the original question.

I am not aware of a religionous organization asking someone in need for a donation what their beliefs are. The Salvation Army comes to mind. Yes if you aren't in the loop of a religion/charity organization then you may not be aware of the assistance available. But usually there are state/local contacts to direct people where to get help.

The problem with government programs is the fraud associated with a big entity trying to get help to the small masses. Two recent examples:

1). 4 year old getting the $8,000 home tax credit
2). Alot (the number escapes me) of prisioners and dead people got refund checks

They can't do anything efficient/cost effective. There are too many levels of buracracy (sp?) who skim off their share as they pass it along.

So, both sides are charitable but the government side seems to do more wasting away those needed funds.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I work late and look what happens!!!

(Rotten kids!)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
So I've tried to avoid this thread, and even the site, hoping this thread would be locked or something, but it's like a train wreck or a soap opera, and it's hard to pull yourself away, or avoid the thread, especially when it's at the top of the new posts when I click on it.

I'm going to start out saying, I'm on an emotional roller coaster this week, so please no one take my outburst personally, because I in no way am out to attack anyone on here.

Earlier I posted that I'm sick of the political threads...etc etc etc. I guess the polite thing for me to have posted would have been, "Could we all please go discuss something none political for awhile?" but again, I'm sure I would have been told to "avoid the thread" if it bothered me, because we for sure don't care of we offend anyone else, as long as we ourselves are not the ones offended.

So, the original question is: How do a person's political views relate to self sufficiency?

I'm not sure if my answer will make sense, but here we go.
I don't believe someone who wants to fully live a self sufficient lifestyle can consider themselves self sufficient if they are also in support of, or participating in, Goverment Run Social Programs. This includes SSI/Disability, Welfare, Healthcare, etc.

I include myself in that statement, because although my husband and I want to be SS, we're not SS because currently we're surviving by accepting assistance from a Goverment Run Social Program that all but asks what color are the underwear you're wearing today when making you jump through their firey hoops to even access what you paid taxes into for 20 or more years.

My husband had also applied for a Government Run Social Program because of his back surgery, and he's been denied. We recieved the most recent denial on Monday. I've not handled this news well, I've been snarky, rude, a real witch and I'm ready to toss the towel in and give up. Our Goverment doesn't want to help us. Period.

The help we are getting ends in March, because there are time limits on it. The goverment program we're currently using makes plenty sure that you have enough food, but they do not care if you can feed your livestock, grow a garden, can or preserve your own food, or if you can buy toilet paper.

So, no, we're not totally SS because we're reliant on assistance, but I see that all ending soon. When the money ends in March, phone and internet go first, then the electric (I can cook outside over an open fire if necessary), and car insurance....meaning we won't be going anywhere...period....THEN and only then will we be SS, because we'll be surviving by our wits and hoping for the best.

At this point, with what we've experienced first hand from Gov't Run Assistance, I don't believe the Gov't would be happy helping us to become SS. No, from what I've experienced, they'd rather we sell off our livestock, live on welfare, and live in Government owned housing, being fully dependent on them (and don't forget to tell them what color/size and last time you washed them underwear you have on!). Government and Self Sufficiency cannot co-exist. It's not possible.

Goverment = They are in control
Self Sufficiency = God and You are in control

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
EXCELLENT POST QUAIL! I fully agree with you. Being SS is not just a game for some of us, like you. I am keeping you and your family in my prayers.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ok, it's over. I have to go teach, when I come back I'll clean this mess up and maybe reopen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.