How do a person's political views relate to self sufficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)
4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.
5. No teasing, mocking, ridiculing, or otherwise making fun at other member's expense.

Just for the record.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
The problem is that if (for example) you live in an area where private charities tend to restrict their efforts to only those of a particular race or religion, and you are something different, then you're kind of stuck, which is not fair or right IMHO.

Pat
Can we expand on this? I just want to understand what you are saying. Is it that you can't give to certain private charities because they only give to certain entities? --and yes, sometimes these are based on race or religion.

Can't you just bypass the private charities and give to the entities you choose directly?

Again, just trying to understand how you're "kind of stuck".

HC, you better check out #3 ;)

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
patandchickens said:
The problem is that if (for example) you live in an area where private charities tend to restrict their efforts to only those of a particular race or religion, and you are something different, then you're kind of stuck, which is not fair or right IMHO.

Pat
Can we expand on this? I just want to understand what you are saying. Is it that you can't give to certain private charities because they only give to certain entities? --and yes, sometimes these are based on race or religion.

Can't you just bypass the private charities and give to the entities you choose directly?

Again, just trying to understand how you're "kind of stuck".
I think she means the people on the receiving end are kind of stuck if they don't fit the category that the charity serves.

At least, that is how I read it.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
I venture to guess that had the data showed that there was more giving from people that shared your point of view, you would be all about discussing it and it's merits.....instead of just brushing it off.
Actually, Scott, I never read the studies you posted about *who* is giving. See my previous post about sources of news. And, actually, it doesn't really matter to me. In fact, I would be thrilled to find out people who don't believe like I do are giving MORE than people who believe like I do. One of life's delights is finding out people are even better than you had anticipated.

I am not invested in WHO is giving. I am simply trying to show that people can care about taking care of themselves AND taking care of others.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
ScottSD said:
I venture to guess that had the data showed that there was more giving from people that shared your point of view, you would be all about discussing it and it's merits.....instead of just brushing it off.
Actually, Scott, I never read the studies you posted about *who* is giving. See my previous post about sources of news. And, actually, it doesn't really matter to me. In fact, I would be thrilled to find out people who don't believe like I do are giving MORE than people who believe like I do. One of life's delights is finding out people are even better than you had anticipated.

I am not invested in WHO is giving. I am simply trying to show that people can care about taking care of themselves AND taking care of others.
Then I'm sorry for my insinuation. Please accept my apology.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
No problem at all. As I keep saying and saying, most of the people I love in life hold different political views. Believe me, I don't demonize different politics.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have no strong opinions on this topic one way or another. I am here to learn what other people have to say.

The people I tend to listen to are the ones who can state their point without feeling the need to mock, denigrate, ridicule, or otherwise invest their energy in proving how smart they are compared to those who disagree with them. How smart you are doesn't interest me. Clever retorts do little to illuminate things for me.

So for those of you who have been able to do this, thanks for the ideas.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
patandchickens said:

Pat
Can we expand on this? I just want to understand what you are saying.
Yup, exactly what Hikerchick said.

I was (having posted that without sufficient rereading and editing, obviously!) speaking of you-the-person-in-need-of-help, not you-the-contributor. If you are, like, the lone Jewish family in a county of Baptists who (those who need it) get help within the local Baptist church community, you may fall through the cracks.

Whoa, look... an excellent example of something that was totally clear to someone who happened to already pretty much agree with me but was GENUINELY HONESTLY unclear/misleading to someone coming from a very different angle. See? It happens, it just isn't as glaringly obvious until you are on the not-getting-it side :p

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.