How do a person's political views relate to self sufficiency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
That was a really neat thread, BBH. It wouldn't be completely accurate, though, even for this forum. Not everyone who volunteers is going to self report... Great ideas on it, though!
I agree. But I think everyone on that thread and others like it who volunteered time and or money didn't mention it to anyone, except on this forum, anononymously.

Sorry newmochick, I hope you aren't referring to the thread I posted. I was just trying to show that there are people out there who DO volunteer/donate without asking for recognition or a tax exemption...we do it b/c it is the right thing to do. (Regardless of our political views.)

Sorry Me&tg, I spout off and never hit the nail on the head in these types of threads. I need to stay out of it all together...like I told myself I would.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
while it is great to debate who's numbers are higher in donations and such.....what does it matter?

Is it enough money thru donations to cancel tons of govt. programs?

Could donations be in place of actual tax provided programs?

I think not.

and a private charity can be more restrictive than a govt. social program.
so maybe more descriminations would exist within that private charity vs. a govt program offering.

So the numbers, while intersting, mean nothing in the end because we know that private donations can not support a nation's needs.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
BBH--Your input was great! It does show on this forum that people across the board give time and money.

I was just saying that in general, self-reported giving of time and money is not going to capture the full picture since some people will not self report.

FC--Also a good point. I tend to see a lot of interesting questions in life and just think out loud on the forum all the time. It is true, though, that perhaps it doesn't matter at all "who" is giving. It might enlighten the debate on this particular thread, but does it really matter?

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is true, though, that perhaps it doesn't matter at all "who" is giving. It might enlighten the debate on this particular thread, but does it really matter?
I venture to guess that had the data showed that there was more giving from people that shared your point of view, you would be all about discussing it and it's merits.....instead of just brushing it off.

Isn't that a good thing? I would rather my money go to things I support and NOT to things I do not support (government funded abortions for example).

FYI, $3.27 billion was raised by private nonprofit organizations for hurricane Katrina....no small number.

And what does ISTP mean?

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
I venture to guess that had the data showed that there was more giving from people that shared your point of view, you would be all about discussing it and it's merits.....instead of just brushing it off.
You love to make assumptions about other people, dont' you?

It's not really necessary to be such a snot all the time.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hikerchick said:
There's that belittling talk from you I have come to expect in the short amount of time I have been here.

Good one! :thumbsup

Notice that I said I'd venture to guess.

hikerchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
hikerchick said:
There's that belittling talk from you I have come to expect in the short amount of time I have been here.

Good one! :thumbsup

Notice that I said I'd venture to guess.
Just calling them like I see them, Scott.

And let's do a poll here on who belittles people on this forum with the greatest frequency. I'd venture to guess that you would win.

Of course, we all know polls are not accurate.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
Well gee, if it's just you in your head having both sides of this discussion, you could save your typing muscles a lot of work :p

Otherwise, people are not necessarily as predictable as you seem to think. And it certainly isn't constructive to TELL people that you know what they'd'a said if. (Oh fine, "venture to guess" what they'd'a said if. Whatever)

Should we be "venturing to guess" what you say? No, you don't like that. For good reason. So, you know.

Isn't that a good thing? I would rather my money go to things I support and NOT to things I do not support (government funded abortions for example).
The problem is that if (for example) you live in an area where private charities tend to restrict their efforts to only those of a particular race or religion, and you are something different, then you're kind of stuck, which is not fair or right IMHO.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.