How Do Y'all Deal With Pests Without Chemicals?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NatureBoy said:
I plant varieties that are very resistant. And I plant them at the optimal time. I only plant brassica and chicory in the fall because they mature when it is too cold for most bugs. I plant things that very few bugs eat: onions, garlic, okra, leeks, etc. I plant the crops that can handle extreme cold very early before the bugs get started: peas, turnips, flax, carrot, beet, etc. And when I say extreme cold, I mean that I plant as early as the extension agency says I can even if there is snow and ice on the ground. I plant legumes for nitrogen that the bugs do not eat: vetch, fenugreek, etc. I plant fava in the fall when it is too cold for most bugs. I only grow Butternut and Tatumi squash since the SVB does not attack them. And I train them up a portable trellis to avoid mold and squash bugs. I never turn my lights on at night during growing season since it attracts moths. I use a 7 year crop rotation that includes one year with a member of the grass family. And I plant flowers that have small blossoms to attract and feed parasitoids. Lastly, I gave in and paid for a buried fence to keep the varmints out. And I have bat and owl nests.
I would like to learn more about your buried fence, how does it work and what was the cost?

NatureBoy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
It was about 10 years ago, so I do not remember the details. But I think I spent a couple thousand on galvanized 1/4 mesh and labor. It is showing rust now, so if I had to do it again, I would dig a trench 2 feet deep and 1 foot wide and fill it with rock. Then I would not need so much 1/4 inch cloth to keep out the moles and voles and it would last longer. It is a pain because I have to unhitch it where the gate is to open the gate. Then I must reattach it immediately. You cannot believe how quick the varmints invade if I leave it open. But it is really the only way to keep them from eating my beets and carrots.

KellyK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We companion plant.
We pick off by hand and drop nasty bugs into a bucket of soap water ( causes them to drown).
Beneficial Insects are encouraged and planted for.
We use organic and natural methods.

We have a bee hive, to help with pollination. Manure/ fertilizer is a mix of compost and rabbit droppings.