how do you field dress a deer

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
regarding the law and otherwise?
SO is trying to get us a deer. He has always gone with someone else who had the know how. Now he is on his own and needs to know what to do, when (being positive here, I like my venison)
he gets the deer. It's been a long time for him, hunting wise. He would like the antlers, but really we are more interested in getting some meat and don't want to waste any of it.

We were discussing the hide as well. He wants to cure it so he can use it as camouflage. I would like to make moccassins. Either way, we don't need a stiff piece of furry something for the wall. We got lots of pictures for that :lol:

Some one on here must know what to do, or please direct us to a site with instructions.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sorry....just noticed you need to know how to FIELD DRESS a deer.......

First off...SHARP KNIFE!
NEXT, put the deer on it's back.... get yourself two 2x4's and place one on either side of the deer's back, so it can not roll to either side.
I start down at the genitals...and split it, up to thru and above the rib cage, into the throat area.
Next, I reach in and cut the esophagus, then move down and cut all the way around the diaphragm. Next I grab a hold of EVERYTHING I can get a hold of and lift/move it out of the chest cavity, leaving the anus and the reproductive organs for last. Once those are cut , I lift everything remaining, out and toss it off to the side. As soon as I can I get a bucket of water and wash the chest cavity out, then let it everything cool out for a few hours.........

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I do not age my venison. Around here, bow season starts in September. If I drop a deer then, I process it as soon as I get it checked in. If there is snow on the ground and it is COLD then I will wait a day before I skin it and cut it up.

I am not a horn hunter, I am a meat hunter. Last years doe.

325265084.jpg

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I lived in Maine, everyone proudly hung their deer from the FRONT porch, not the back! :lol:

Here in the 'burbs, you bring it to a meat locker company to age it and cut it up.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There is a thread about this right now at BYC. Seems like everyone does it differently but the main objective is to not contaminate the meat with fluids, secretions or bowel contents.

Get it out quick and clean, don't use the same knife to cut near the meat as you did to cut around the genitals, milk sac, hocks, etc. If you save the liver, be careful of the bile sac, it will taint anything it comes in contact with if you bust it.

You can skin quickly with a lawn mower, four wheeler or vehicle. Leaves less chance of hair residue on the meat and makes it much easier, especially with a cold carcass.