How do you get the labels off of your jars??

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so sick of scraping last years labels off of my canning jars. There MUST be an easier way!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stopped using labels years ago. I hate them with a passion. I write on my flats with a Sharpie. I don't use Tattlers just good old disposable metal ones. Usually just a date. Most of the time I know what is in the jar.

If its a gift I use fabric under the ring with a string and tag.

g

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
also if you can use the box the canning jars came in. I just put the canned items back in the box. then write on the box....green beans 7/12 and that way they are safely stored and easily identified and stack well.

might help ya :p

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I stopped using labels years ago. I hate them with a passion. I write on my flats with a Sharpie. I don't use Tattlers just good old disposable metal ones. Usually just a date. Most of the time I know what is in the jar.

If its a gift I use fabric under the ring with a string and tag.

g
We do this as well :D

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I usually just soak the jars in hot soapy water. Most of the time I just use a marker and write on the lid.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
also if you can use the box the canning jars came in. I just put the canned items back in the box. then write on the box....green beans 7/12 and that way they are safely stored and easily identified and stack well.

might help ya :p
Thats a good idea too! thanks!
I guess I am not the only one who has resorted to sharpies.
I just have to make sure DH can read the jars so he can heat up his dinner on days that I am unable to fix him dinner

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For home canned, and for home use, I use a sharpie to write on the lid. I will need to re-think this when I use the Tatler lids. For gifts I tie a tag around the jar with twine or ribbon. For commercial jars (I know, you didn't actually ask about this) I soak the jar in water. Anything left after that either gets scraped off with a razor, or rubbed off with a citrus oil cleaner (citrisolve or goo-begone). If this proves to be too much of a bother (some companies use incredibly resistant glue) I just re-cycle the jar. I have a serious jar fetish, but some jars are just too difficult to deal with ;)

KnittyGritty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For sticky residue that I can't get off with hot water, I use a spray called Goo Gone, or something like that - spray it on, let it sit for a few min. and it wipes right off.

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The hot soapy water and a razor blade for the tough bits. If the glass is wet it won't scratch the glass. Do this for any glass and mirrors. Spray with window cleaner and scrape while wet with a razor blade. They come in in holders at the hardware store for a few dollars or just use masking tape on one edge so you don't cut yourself. You can take anything off glass with this method with very little effort.