How do you get the labels off of your jars??

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
ORChick said:
For home canned, and for home use, I use a sharpie to write on the lid. I will need to re-think this when I use the Tatler lids.
You can erase permanent sharpie writing from glass and from metal and probably from ceramic, but I would want to test it first, with plain old rubbing alcohol. :) I'm not sure what the Tatler lids are made of, but that might help you.

I also label my canned goods with a pen on the metal lid. It would be harder to see on the glass jar.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Also, to remove residual glue (from labels) you can make a paste of cooking oil and dish soap and scrub for a while. If it is stubborn, add a little baking soda. That usually works for me and all of those ingredients are within reach in the kitchen. :)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I use colored masking tape, write on it and put it across the lid. When I open the jar, I remove the tape. I know it sounds simplistic but I have nothing to scrub off anything.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the tips! Once I get these all cleaned off, I think the sharpie will rule the day! :thumbsup

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh---USE blue painters tape. that stuff comes off so easy from anything. I use it all the time. who needs sticky labels anyway LOL

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto on the Sharpie on metal flat lids, whenever I gift some canning I print a pretty round label (the link is somewhere on this site, I can't remember who originally posted it but another big thank you to that person!) and stick it onto the metal flat lid over top of my Sharpie info.

I use green painter's tape on the side of the jar when I use my reusable antique glass lids:

viceroy.jpg

glass-lid-jar.jpg

(picture obviously taken before I put the green tape label on!)

I got these lids along with some freebie jars last summer and the pears in the photo were the first thing I tried, I've since canned tomato sauce and fruit cocktail with these lids and I absolutely love them--just wish I could use them in the pressure canner but don't want to risk them or any food.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
For home canned, and for home use, I use a sharpie to write on the lid. I will need to re-think this when I use the Tatler lids.
I'm trying masking tape on Tattler lids.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As a home brewer who gets most of his beer bottles from a local Bar I have found that some brews use waterproof labels.These are tough to get off. I soak all bottles overnight in a hot strong bleach solution to santize the INSIDE of the bottles. most regular labels just fall right off after this treatment. The waterproof ones don't. Most brewer supply stores on the internet sell something with a name like labelsov that does work. for everyday use the tape/sharpie method and only use fancy labels for gifts. most brewing contests insist on easy to remove labels since they are blind taste tests and are marked with a code only when presented to the judges.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Moolie, I have never seen glass flats like that. When abouts were they used? Very neat looking. I would love to find some.

gina