How do you make husbands grow up? (no offense to already grown up ones

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Are ya'll getting the same add on the bottom of this thread page that I am?

"Meet Married Women"
to the effect of "Are you married but feeling bored?"

unbelievable!!

eta: now it's an add for Chevy Malibu

sorry, not trying to hijack the thread

got it again: it also said "Find married women for fun"

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one quick thought on that ad stuff
I noticed every time we chat about fireplaces, wood stoves, log splitters, whatever the item, an add shows up for it. I chatted about dog boarding and at the bottom was dog crates for sale.

Spooky!

and we think we need to worry about our men.....I think we need to worry about all the big brothers out there watching our every single move! Creepy!

back to original thread now, I just had to say that.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, funny about the ad. The one that annoys me is every thread that talks about food generates a diet ad. :p

Cassandra

dixiefreedom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
ok here i go with my 2 cents, how was he when you married him? he smoked and was a man that acted like a kid right? well what makes you think he wants to change? It sounds like you may be a touch of a nag and if that's the case you are driving him insane. he sneaks ciggs because he doesn't want to hear your crap, and short answers and not communicating is his way of saying if he gives the wrong answer he will hear you complain about it. We do not need to hear about our faults all the time. If he fears you even in joking then how do you expect him to protect you if a crisis. Hope i didn't make any enemys with this since im not sure of the temperament of this forum.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
dixiefreedom said:
ok here i go with my 2 cents, how was he when you married him? he smoked and was a man that acted like a kid right? well what makes you think he wants to change? It sounds like you may be a touch of a nag and if that's the case you are driving him insane. he sneaks ciggs because he doesn't want to hear your crap, and short answers and not communicating is his way of saying if he gives the wrong answer he will hear you complain about it. We do not need to hear about our faults all the time. If he fears you even in joking then how do you expect him to protect you if a crisis. Hope i didn't make any enemys with this since im not sure of the temperament of this forum.
Well, you're surrounded by women and have been very blunt here, but we're all big girls and can take it, so don't worry - just don't be surprised if you get a few sharp answers.

You're right, though, about how was he when you married him. Marrying a party boy and expecting him to settle down once you have kids is asking for trouble - that is unless said party boy wanted kids also, in which case he ought to know what comes with that. Just a small example of wanting to be a kid forever vs. growing up and facing responsibilities for your actions. If you think that's giving him crap then well, we're going to have some serious disagreements.

By the way - the party boy example is my personal experience. He's gone now, after fathering two boys and deciding he wasn't interested in all the 'crap' being a father meant. Thank goodness there are good men out there, though, my new and vastly improved husband makes up for the first's shortcomings.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
dixiefreedom said:
Well, my initial reaction is, harump...typical male attitude ROTFL :p

Welcome to SS.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dixiefreedom-don't worry about the temperament here. We're pretty easy going.

I understand your point. I think at a basic level all people are pretty resistant to change especially when it isn't self-motivated.

My DH certainly isn't perfect. Not going to post a whole laundry list of his inadequacies mostly because my list is just as long. BUT I am really trying to focus on the positive.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dixiefreedom said:
Hm... my short answer to that is, "Well, if you don't want to be nagged at about stuffing your socks under the sofa, then stop stuffing your socks under the sofa."

(especially if I'm going to have to listen to you stomping and cussing around the house on Monday morning because you don't have any clean socks.)

Frankly, I don't think a 'this is what I like to do so leave me alone' attitude is very conducive to a good relationship. But, hey... you do things your way. ;)

We both smoked and both acted like kids when we got married. But that was ten years ago. I've grown up--without being asked. And if expecting a man to just take care of the things within his household that need to be done without asking is nagging, oh yeah. I'm a nag. No apologies. There is just no excuse for that.

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good post Cassandra!

there is a time to grow up......every person should. Nothing wrong with fun times, but life is not all about games, it can't be! :)