How do you make your own ACV?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Thank you! Off to start my culture and hide it from my SO who will roll her eyes and be slightly superior since she would just buy it. :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Homemade vinegar supposedly has greater variations of acidity. Not surprising, since the conditions vary.
My homemade ACV tastes the same as the organic unpasteurized stuff I bought.
I think it took close to 3 months for mine. I used apples from my friend's tree. It will smell like apple jack at first. The juice first has to ferment, then it turns to vinegar. I covered my bottles with pieces of fabric to keep dust and cat hairs and such out.
It is definitely worthwhile to make your own. IMO.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't actually tried to make my own, but one of my friends does and she uses wine-making yeast to get it going faster... it takes 3-4 weeks for her 5 gallons of juice to turn into vinegar.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Where do you get the wine yeast? I know there isn't anyplace around here. Online?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Homebrew shops online should have it. Red Star is the brand I use for my mead.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm hoping to make some vinegar from some of the sulfite-free wine we are making! I have a bottle of rice vinegar with a mother in it that looks like a cork....it is a narrow-necked bottle and the mother reminds me of a kombucha scoby. Can I remove this and plop it into a jar of the wine?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mother likes you better than me!! :lol:

In several years of vinegar making I have yet to find Mother! :(

However from all I've read, yes, go ahead and toss Mom into the wine; she should have a really good time with your homemade wine :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I once had a bottle of store bought vinegar that I thought had gone bad and I threw it out. Then Ma told (yelled) me it was the "mother" and should have kept it. At the time I obviously wasn't very SS minded and didn't have a clue.
Now I know vinegar doesn't go bad and that cloudy looking glob is a good thing :lol:
(sorry, just thought I'd share that sometimes even store bought can get a mother)
But I will be trying this out later this season with some of my own apples.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I did the adding store bought UP/ACV to my apple juice and it did very well. Each jug formed a nice, neat little mother!

Now, when I empty a jug, I transfer the mother to a new jug of apple juice that I have ready from the juice I canned this past fall.

I don't see why one couldn't use store bought apple juice and just add a mother and wait.

Latest posts