How do you make your own ACV?

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I don't see why one couldn't use store bought apple juice and just add a mother and wait.
Just check where the apple juice comes from. When my daughter would only drink apple juice I struggled to find any from the USA, most came from China, and I think it was Juicy juice that came from South America.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I live in the middle of apple orchards- my cider came from down the street. :D

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
valmom said:
I live in the middle of apple orchards- my cider came from down the street. :D
:D I have two apple tree's but no way to juice the boogers. I'm just happy my kids can go outside and pick and eat right off the tree!

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think I just found mother (looks kind of webby) in my bottle of store bought red wine vinegar. It isn't organic.

a) Should I use it anyway?

if so,

b) Can I use it for apple cider and white wine as well as red?

Really loving the idea of making my own vinegar.

On a related topic - could I use mother to make vinegar from berry juice (raspberry, blackberry, etc)?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes! And to make red wine vinegar, you need to blend grape juice and apple. Not sure of the ratio, but this is what I've read about it. Red wine vinegar is my favorite! I'm going to try to use my own grapes this year to make some.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Mother likes you better than me!! :lol:

In several years of vinegar making I have yet to find Mother! :(

However from all I've read, yes, go ahead and toss Mom into the wine; she should have a really good time with your homemade wine :)
This is the only time that mother likes me better, believe me!!!! :p

I think I will have a time, getting that plug out of that narrow-necked bottle....but I am pretty determined.

I will have to see if there is any local cider left in the stores. We have a lot of cider mills in the area. Everyone sells pasteurized, though.

Bee, red wine vinegar isn't just grape wine that went vinegary??

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow! So really, you could almost make vinegar out of any homemade wine your brewing? Think of the endless possibilities!!

Ok, so.. Kombucha vinegar vs. ACV? Benefits? Interchangeable? Anyone want to experiment?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
From what I read about it, Free, you just add grape juice to the vinegar as it's making/fermenting to make red wine vinegar. If it were just fermented grape juice it would be....wine...I guess?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
ORChick said:
Mother likes you better than me!! :lol:

In several years of vinegar making I have yet to find Mother! :(

However from all I've read, yes, go ahead and toss Mom into the wine; she should have a really good time with your homemade wine :)
This is the only time that mother likes me better, believe me!!!! :p

I think I will have a time, getting that plug out of that narrow-necked bottle....but I am pretty determined.

I will have to see if there is any local cider left in the stores. We have a lot of cider mills in the area. Everyone sells pasteurized, though.

Bee, red wine vinegar isn't just grape wine that went vinegary??
Free, now that Mom has found you (or vice versa) it doesn't matter if your juice is pastuerized; she'll repopulate it with good bacteria, and vinegar will happen. Although I haven't ever had a mother in my vinegar I still have the acetobacter beasties; just adding some of my finished vinegar to new juice (pastuerized or not) is enough to get things started.
For red wine vinegar I used some not-too-expensive red wine, and added a shot of my homemade ACV. Worked just fine, and now I add the resulting red wine vinegar to new wine to continue the process.