How do you make your own ACV?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I have always read that homemade vinegar should not be used for pickles etc. because it is so hard to definitely know the % acidity. My gut feeling though is that homemade vinegar is probably stronger than bought, just because it always says on the labels of the bought stuff that it has been "diluted to 5% acidity". I am not however recommending the use of homemade for such things. I plan to get some litmus test strips to test my vinegar at some point. I don't make many pickles though, so I haven't got around to it yet.
Sorry but unless you buy some very expensive test strips they won't tell you a thing about the %acid. Litmus will only tell you if it is acid or not which your tounge can do better, let me give you the whole book on ACV. I grew up in a German orchard area in the north. the old germans would crush up several barrels with tops on of whole apples and stash them in the barn or basement.
They called this "juice" a refreshing drink for the whole family. within a few weeks the natural yeast in the 'bloom' of the apple skins would start to work and have bubbles in the liquid.
This was 'soft cider' suitable for kids women and men (not babies, the bubbles would cause colic)
When it got too strong for the kids to drink without getting drunk it was Hard Cider (about 8% alcohol) It would continue to work untill all the sugar was converted to alcohol (about 12-18% Alcohol like wine) where the yeast would die and they would decant off the liquids into fresh sealed kegs bottles or barrels.
This was the source of 'mild"alcohol untill the next fall Now if they wanted stronger stuff they would leave it Outside to freeze. the water froze out first and the remainder was Applejack a very strong and smooth drink indeed!
Now we get to ACV. That ice still contained a bunch of alcohol so they would move it to someplace warmer and thaw the ice Take the head off the barrel and replace with cheese cloth to keep the critters out and seed it with "mother" Stirr every day, you must have oxygen to convert alcohol to vinegar. and yes the alcohol was the limiting factor on the %acid produced and it often had to be diluted so it wasn't so darn sour.

I worked in a plant that produced white vinegar and ACV the difference was the starting feed, distilled grain alcohol for white, hard cider for Apple vinegar. by then they had bioreactors that would mix in the air and keep the temperature right as well as very pure starters. When the alcohol was converted, filter, and dilute to ajust to 5% acid heat treat and bottle,

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
HELP!

I cut up my apples, etc. to make acv about 3 weeks ago.

I also did what someone suggested or mentioned ( i don't remember ) and did a separate jar with the cores and pulp, etc. of the apples and covered that with water.

I just went to check on my jars, and the one with the cores and pulp has bugs in it!

It's ruined, isn't it?

I don't understand how bugs got in it. I used t-shirt material and screwed it on tight with a mason jar ring on a mason jar.

What did i do wrong?

I'm so disappointed!

The other two jars - with just liquid don't have bugs.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I know I wouldn't drink the one with bugs in it. Maybe the bugs got in on the cores before you closed it off!
Any idea how i could have prevented that? It's not like they sat out.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Could just be that there were already some eggs or larvae in the apples. We don't like to think about it but chances of eating tiny eggs along with your organic fruit are definately there...

CalicoFarm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have a question, this is the first time I've tried to make ACV. It has been sitting a little over a week now. It smells like yeast. Is that normal?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I think that is normal. Mine smelled yeasty and cidery (and tasted like cider) for a month or more, I think? Mine is still sort of sweet and cidery, although with an acid bite to it. It tastes sweeter than the ACV I bought at the local coop I used to start mine with.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started some ACV last night. I read somewhere that late-ripening apples work better because of their higher sugar content. So I brought in some Winesap and Harlson from the trees, crushed them in the blender, and dumped them in a colander lined with cheesecloth, sitting atop a pan. I got about 2 quarts of juice. I put that in a 2-qt. jar with cheesecloth banded to the top and added a few shots of bottled organic ACV. Within an hour, the few stray fruit flies that had been living on the tomatoes came over to check it out.

So now I have to put it in a warm,dark place and then what? Do I have to stir or shake it or anything?

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
I started some ACV last night. I read somewhere that late-ripening apples work better because of their higher sugar content. So I brought in some Winesap and Harlson from the trees, crushed them in the blender, and dumped them in a colander lined with cheesecloth, sitting atop a pan. I got about 2 quarts of juice. I put that in a 2-qt. jar with cheesecloth banded to the top and added a few shots of bottled organic ACV. Within an hour, the few stray fruit flies that had been living on the tomatoes came over to check it out.

So now I have to put it in a warm,dark place and then what? Do I have to stir or shake it or anything?
I'd like to know too. I have a half gallon of pear juice that I was thinking about making vinegar from.