How do you make your own ACV?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I used enough water to get those apples liquified. It ended up being quite a bit of water, but I did try to keep it down.
If I had a press, I am sure it would be much better to use just pure apple juice, but I made do with what I have on hand. It still came out great. It doesn't taste watered down at all. it is just as tart as the expensive store bought stuff.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Oh cool.

I'm doing it both ways.

I got about 6 cups of liquid in two different jars - and then the pulp and cores in another jar with water.

I'll see which one i like better.

It's definitely good to know - 'cause my blender doesn't work without electricity. ;) :D

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Would homemade ACV be OK for canning? Is there any way to tell how high the % of acid is?

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Would homemade ACV be OK for canning? Is there any way to tell how high the % of acid is?
I don't think you want to can ACV. It doesn't go bad, but you could kill the good stuff in it by canning it.

Is that right, experts?

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PunkinPeep said:
VickiLynn said:
I don't think you want to can ACV. It doesn't go bad, but you could kill the good stuff in it by canning it.

Is that right, experts?
OOps. Guess I didn't word that very well. What I was trying to ask was, could you use it in canning recipes that call for some vinegar to make it safe for BWB. I have a salsa recipe like that.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a test to test the acidity, I think. Look it up on a vinegar supply site or winemakers site. I have read that canning with it is not recommended unless you know definately what percent acidity.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have always read that homemade vinegar should not be used for pickles etc. because it is so hard to definitely know the % acidity. My gut feeling though is that homemade vinegar is probably stronger than bought, just because it always says on the labels of the bought stuff that it has been "diluted to 5% acidity". I am not however recommending the use of homemade for such things. I plan to get some litmus test strips to test my vinegar at some point. I don't make many pickles though, so I haven't got around to it yet.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It's definitely good to know - 'cause my blender doesn't work without electricity.
gallagher.jpg