How do you make your own ACV?

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok question.... is homemade ACV supposed to be really cloudy... almost milky looking?

Here is what I did to make it....I took the apple scraps that I had from a batch of homegrown apples (no chemicals used to treat them) basically all the cores chunks and skins that I didn't use to make apples sauce... tossed them into a jar and covered it with water then added a pinch of yeast to it.... covered the top of the jar with a few papertowels so it can breath but not let in bugs or dust...

Within a few weeks there is a slimy white booger growing on top of the jar... after another 2 months of sitting under my cabinet the booger divided into 3 thick layers... I'm assuming this is good from what I've read... ok figured it was done at this time...

boy does it stink!!! (I can't stand the smell of vinegar and I've only used the white distilled kind to clean with or balsamic for salads so wasn't expecting such a stout strong smell... it smells like vinegar with a touch of soured apple) So I dug out the boogers with a spoon and put them in a small jar off to the side and covered them with a tad bit of vinegar to keep them moist(I assume it's ok to put it in an airtight container and leave it in the cabinet until I'm ready to make another batch of vinegar right?)

I then used a colender and cheese cloth to drain off all the apple chunks... the stuff still looked cloudy so I then tried to run the vinegar through a coffee filter to clear it up some... wouldn't work... so then I tried through a paper towel... this worked but the stuff still isn't clear like the ACV you buy at walmart....

Since I've never had the REAL ACV before I have no clue what it's supposed to taste like to see if it's ok... my mom growing up was super mega paranoid about germs and such so now has me scared to try it... (she about died when I made yougurt!) but I like yougurt and could taste it and tell if it was bad... this I have no clue...

I guess I need a better expert opinion as to weather my ACV is good or not... Is there any other BAD bacteria that could have gotten into my batch and kill me if I use it? Or am I just being paranoid since it's not the color or clarity I expected?

I now have my stinky juice in an old pickle jar with the lid on... is it ok to just store it in my cabinet this way? I do use vinegar when baking bread but that I know would kill the good stuff in it... I have tried and CAN NOT stomach drinking the stuff no matter what I mix it with... so any other suggestions I can use this stuff for?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like you have got a fine batch of ACV there; and you have a mother on your first go! Took me two years of making vinegar before that happened :rolleyes:. It is perfectly fine in its cloudy state; think of freshly pressed, unfiltered apple cider, it is also not clear. Personally I quite like ACV, smell and taste, so I'm not the best person to ask about "hiding" it. I use it for most of my salad dressings, and pour a bit into simmering chicken or beef stock (helps to draw the minerals out of the bones). I use it as a rinse for my hair (smell goes away after hair is dry; dilute ACV with water , and pour it through your hair after shampooing, let sit for a few minutes, and rinse out). I put a shot into the chickens' waterer (not into metal however).
For the mother, keeping it for awhile, submerged in vinegar, is fine ... though I wouldn't stretch that too far. Couple of weeks maybe, but probably not months. Nice thing about the mother (or even your finished ACV) is that you can put it into some more apple juice - even the pasteurized stuff from the store - and it will kick start the process so that you get vinegar quicker. You could even put the mother into a jar with wine, and get wine vinegar.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok Awesome! was hoping it was good!

I have some more cider that I can plop the mother in but.... the cabinet I had the vinegar cooking in is now the cabinet I have my wine cooking in... LOL and I'm terrified that the mother will pass her germies over to my wine!!! As excited as I am to have my very own Mother! I really really don't want to taint my wine!!! That's why I went ahead and bottled her up today cleaned out that cabinet really well and placed my wine with it's airlocks in there to finish fizzing...

Can I freeze the Mother like I do with yogurt starters? because I have a big ol gallon jug of my first batch of vinegar here and won't be needing more for a while... Unless I can find a better way to use up the vinegar... So I don't think I'll be making another batch till I have more apple scraps next year... I do use a TON of vinegar for cleaning but it's the white distilled kind... can I use the ACV kind for that as well... I spilled some on the counter today and it seemed a tad sticky.... So doubt it would be good to clean with...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know about freezing the mother; I've never tried it, nor read about others doing it. However if I read correctly you have quite a lot of *her* so maybe you could experiment for us all :lol:. Divide *her* up, put some in the freezer (maybe in a bath of cider) and keep the rest in some cider or ACV, and see 1) if the unfrozen keeps for a longer time (longer than the few weeks I suggested before), and 2) eventually, if the frozen mother will still work. Even if you lose both batches it doesn't really matter, as a bit (maybe 1/2 cup) of your active ACV will be enough to kickstart another batch, and even if that isn't available you have proven that you can make ACV perfectly well from just the apples.
It is a requirement though that you come back here and report your results :lol:

As to cleaning with ACV, I see nothing against it, except maybe using it full strength on anything that might stain. So, for wiping down counter tops - I would do that without question. Or cleaning glass; vinegar is great for that! Full strength on anything that might stain - no, I would choose distilled vinegar over ACV. I have not yet had the nerve to put it in the final rinse in the washing machine, although I'm pretty sure that it would be diluted enough not to stain. Still, I can't make distilled vinegar, so someday I may not have a choice ;)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot to add ... yes, keep your vinegar and wine separate. I'm not a wine maker, but everything I have read (and I read a lot :lol:) suggests that keeping the two apart is a wise idea.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohhhhh I love to experiment so into the freezer mom shall go! Wine is already bubbling nicely in my "experiment cabinet" (I feel like a mad scientist sometimes but it keeps it out of view of hubby who would probably have a cow if he knew the stuff I make in there... hahaha) The wine was a LOT more work than the vinegar ever was so I got to try my best to keep it happy...

but into the freezer Mom went... :fl I have plenty of vinegar to last for a while... so won't be needing her till next apple harvest... unless I make some really bad wine which is a possibility.... in that case mom may have to be unfrozen sooner... but I figured since it was super easy to make the mom from these apples... (it's my sis-in-law's trees she doesn't usually do anything with them so it's 100% natural all the way... wormy apples and all... LOL) and I have access to them each year... I figured even if my mommy can't survive a deep freeze.... I can always start from scratch again next year... I still can't believe how quick and easy the mom formed....

But I'll keep you all posted on how she does next batch of vinegar I decide to make... :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never thought about trying to freeze my mother. I have fished it out of the vinegar and grew another one. I even put the jug in the frig for a few weeks, then brought it out again. The mother seemed to be fine that way, maybe I was just lucky, I dunno.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CrimsonRose said:
ohhhhh I love to experiment so into the freezer mom shall go! Wine is already bubbling nicely in my "experiment cabinet" (I feel like a mad scientist sometimes but it keeps it out of view of hubby who would probably have a cow if he knew the stuff I make in there... hahaha) The wine was a LOT more work than the vinegar ever was so I got to try my best to keep it happy...

but into the freezer Mom went... :fl I have plenty of vinegar to last for a while... so won't be needing her till next apple harvest... unless I make some really bad wine which is a possibility.... in that case mom may have to be unfrozen sooner... but I figured since it was super easy to make the mom from these apples... (it's my sis-in-law's trees she doesn't usually do anything with them so it's 100% natural all the way... wormy apples and all... LOL) and I have access to them each year... I figured even if my mommy can't survive a deep freeze.... I can always start from scratch again next year... I still can't believe how quick and easy the mom formed....

But I'll keep you all posted on how she does next batch of vinegar I decide to make... :D
:thumbsup

Latest posts