How do you save electricity?

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, how does everyone save electricity?

I just changed all the lights to CFLs, plan on buying LED Christmas lights, turnoff everylight and appliance that is not in use - getting a little tired off having to do this for other people - and put my TV/entertainment system and computer/printer/internet on powerstrips.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I did the cfl thing as well, went to the welding shop and had clothesline post made. Using the dryer for less than 2 hours, and no heat/ac during the month of september my electricity bill went down $30.00! It has been a mild/wet summer here in MO.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If I had to pick one thing that I know really cuts an electric bill down it would be to hang out the clothes. I've never had a huge electric bill, $120 would make me gasp, but it was staying up there until I changed out all the lights to CFLs - then, when I started hanging out the clothes, it plunged! It's hovering around $51.00 a month now. The winter is the worst, of course, we'll see how we do through til next March.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I see you live in Maine. Pretty lucky to live in California. Personally, I don't see the need to turn on the heater. Just put on a few extra layers and snuggle in blankets. The coldest it gets it around 30 in the very dead of winter. But others don't feel that way in the house.

Summer on the other hand is a killer over here. I did learn how to cool the shady side of the house for my chickens without electricity using evaporation. Hosed down the stucco walls and ground. As everything evaporated the temprature was around 75 degrees in 100+ heat. We also cover the area with shade cloth for additional cooling. Also, noticed that were there was a break in the shadecloth a nice tall tree acted like a cooling tower. The afternoon breeze would rush down the side of the trunk cooling the area even more.

This also kept that side of the house much cooler. Next year, I think I will put shade cloth on either side of the house and around the patio to block out the sun. May remember to house down the outside walls to release additional heat. A fan on the roof to draw out heat from the attic would also be good addition.

A evaporative or swamp cooler would be nice. Would work very well in our dry summers. It is suppose to be much more energy efficient than compresive coolers.

After doing some research on natural cooling, I figured out what the wooden towers next to old farm house were. They were cooling towers or windcatchers. (I will try to find you some pictures.) Very great idea before air conditioning. Wish they still built houses like that around here. It would cut costs so much.

When I finally get to own a house, I want to incorporate some of these old technologies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CFLs thru entire house

Will replace Christmas lights as they die, no need for me to spend money and throw out good lights just to buy LED....so will do this when time is right.

Do not use clothes dryer often (CO2 savings and elec) (use sparingly on rainy days)

shorter laundry cycle when washing...heck clothes are never total dirty, and little longer cycle for bad farm clothes.

Power strips

Unplug if not in use for long periods of time. My extra freezers for farm business etc.

Turn down thermostat with heat in winter, turn it higher with AC in summer

shut off alot of outside lights at night. barn light on, 1 side light near garage on...other than that porch lights etc. are off.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Will replace Christmas lights as they die, no need for me to spend money and throw out good lights just to buy LED....so will do this when time is right.
Home Depot is giving 50% of LED lights when you turn in your old ones.

I wander if their is a way you can set up some type of mini solar panel system for your barn light. I know their are latterns that can be charged all day in the sun to be used at night.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
The usual stuff: CFLs as old bulbs die out, turn off all equipment and lights not being used, clothesline yearround (adds humidity to the house in winter by hanging clothes in basement next to woodstove), trying to combine multiple foods when using the oven. Almost never use air conditioning, in fact not even 1 day this year. No hair dryers. Short showers (well, me at least :)). Energy star appliances. Hmm... is that all?

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
turn the temp on your water heater to the lowest temp possible

make sure everyone takes a shower within the same hour you dont have to worry about the water getting hot its hot from the last person that used the shower

if its 60 outside no heater after everyone goes to sleep turns back on in the morning for 1/2 hour

if you have to use the dryer use it in the winter at night when its the coldest

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
turn the temp on your water heater to the lowest temp possible
Oh, yeah. I forgot this one. Plus putting an insulator around the water heater.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Make sure electric extension cords aren't too long or wrong gauge for the unit plugged into it. A properly sized cord will use less electricity.
I had an electric chainsaw that was an electric drain until I bought the correct size cord. Made a huge $ difference.

Latest posts