How do you save electricity?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
In the past few months, I have been blessed to have my house weatherized by our city's senior citizen's program. I had a door that was cracked, and they replaced it. They also replaced a window that had a 1/4" gap between the glass and the frame. All of my exterior switches and receptacles are now insulated. They tested my A/C vents and found parts which were not hooked up at all, just blowing air into the attic space. They found that I have the equivalent of R2 insulation in my attic, but because my roof is so badly deteriorated, they cannot insulate it with cellulose insulation material. They optimized my stove and water heater. Applied a water heater blanket. Installed a dozen CFL's. Gave me a carbon monoxide monitor and replaced my broken smoke alarm. Low flow shower heads and aerators on the sinks. And because my refrigerator door was sagging and letting cold air out the top, they replaced my refrigerator. This was all completed in September, and my October bill was about 30% less than the same time last year.

As far as intentional choices, I also hang out my laundry and use the shortest cycle, most of the time with cold water. Some things I just need to use hot.

Until it gets too cold for my old hands to work at my job, I keep the daytime thermostat set at 62 and at night (unless the grandkids are here), I basically turn it off. I DO use a electric blanket, though. Two of the four bedrooms now have blankets for curtains. I have learned a lot from this site !!!

My goal in the next few months is to lower my living expenses by one-third. The only way to do that is to consume less. So, that's what I am doing. Have to admit, it sometimes feels like I am that old geezer in the Disney series from the 1950's and 60's who peered out from behind heavy curtains at the real world.

Ironically, just today I posted on FreeCycle for candles. Last year I used them almost exclusively instead of electric lights.

This is a good post for today. Lots of thinking about just this topic going on.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
CFLs, laundry done at night on weekends when rates are lowest, power bars to avoid phantom loads, bedtimes of around 10pm when possible, heat with wood, hang out clothes when possible, no AC, keep blinds drawn in summer.

I am applying for weatherization this winter and hope that they will replace inefficient windows and storm doors, rotting floors, insulate pipes, old eaves and downspouts.

This house is very well insulated, so this helps in all ways.

My electricity can range from $17 to $60, but rarely ever exceeds this amount. Mostly averages around $45 in peak energy use times.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wanted to add that currently have abstanded from buying a big HDTV. The old tude TV works fine and uses a fraction of the energy of a new one. Is this they first case of improved technology that actually uses more energy?