How do you use grapes?

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Up until a couple years ago, no one "canned jelly or jam". You made it, poured it into the jars, put the hot lids on top and screwed on the band and that was it. Or you can freeze it but I think you said that you didn't have a freezer.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's the open kettle method. Mom did than when we were kids. Those lids followed directly after that jam. She poured, I wiped the lip, then she screwed them down. She does waterbath now because there is almost never a failure with it.

Old fashioned jam recipes are pretty much self preserving and don't actually need refrigerated if you use them them up in a week. They will last months in the fridge after opened. Paraffin was used to seal them and keep the mold off.

WildBird

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There's never extra grapes here, but when there are bad ones the chickens get a snack!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I steam juice, I always put the left over skins and seeds out for the chickens. They do get tired of it after a few days.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use Pomona's Pectin for my jam/jelly. It is not dependent on sugar to set up, so you can use what ever sweetener you want to use, and use ONLY as much as you want to use. Jamming with Pomona's is just about as easy as making jello! But, b/c of the low sugar content, I HWB. And, open jars need to be refrigerated and used up within a couple weeks.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have heard that it is the new "rule" but I have never water bath canned any jam or jelly. You make the jelly, to the right temp etc...put it in the jars put lids & bands on, flip 'em over as you go, then turn them all back right side up after 5 min or so and let them cool and set up. The turning upside down heats and seals the lid to form the "vacuum" so it will seal and "pop" as they are supposed to.
He//, we used to put liquid paraffin on the tops of the jelly to seal them years ago...
That is how my mother did it and is how I still do it. Works fine.
Don't flip. It causes false seals that release later. Sucks to waste all that work.
I disagree. I have never had any of mine fail due to a false seal. I do the same with all my canned goods including the water bath canned ones.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My mom flipped everything over to cool. she have very few failed seals.