How do you use sauerkraut?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Choucroute Garnie, Sauerkraut Soup, Sauerkraut with Cabbage Rolls, Sauerkraut with any kind of pork, Sauerkraut and Noodles, Sauerkraut with Egg Barley, Sauerkraut as a side dish with lots of caraway seeds. I think I have posted most of these somewhere on ss.... I can find more if ya need them! :gig

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
wow--what a bunch of krazy krauties there are on this site!! BTW, how on earth did I end up with a title? On that note, does anybody do kraut with pumpkins or squash? They seem like natural seasonal cousins, tart and sweet married together (oops-maybe cousins and marriage don't belong in the same sentence!)

me&thegals

Reaction score
yes--I read that earlier today while researching kraut. I just like the sound of spaetzle. What a cool word. Maybe my kitchen goal this winter will be learning pasta. I've only done gnocchi (pumpkin, of course) but it would be neat to try others and spaetzle sounds doable. Thanks!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
My Mom always made a bed of sauerkraut with some pork chops on it and some chunks of carrots and potatoes around the pan, baked. Simple enough.

in a grilled swiss cheese sandwhich!!! droolin
I might try that.

I eat it with black eye peas and mashed potatoes now. I've been vegetarian a long time so made my own combo.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
APPLE REUBENS! My favorite. :love

Grill 2 pieces of buttered sourdough or rye with a good healthy dose of swiss or cheddar, thin slices of a tart apple (like a mac), thousand island dressing, and sauerkraut.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Kraut & Weinnies . . . just slice a pack of beef hotdogs and toss in a skillet with the kraut and heat through. Great with fried potatoes and pinto beans on the side.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Raw, as a digestive aid, about half a cup. Not the yummiest way, for sure, but my body thanks me!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
BTW, how on earth did I end up with a title?
Looks to me like you gave it to yourself on page one of the Pie Pumpkin thread! :lol:

me&thegals said:
Oh my goodness!! Go grab them! ........

me&thegals, a major, major squash and pumpkin lover

me&thegals

Reaction score
I recognized the quote, just wondered who gives out titles :)

Here's my vegetarian reuben, which my husband considers an oxymoron.

Rye bread
Sauerkraut
Long thin slabs of zucchini
Italian dressing
1000 Island dressing
Swiss cheese

Marinate the zucchini in the Italian dressing. Assemble the reuben as usual, cheese, sauerkraut and zucchini, fry in pan, enjoy.