2 pear trees
3 apple trees
1 crab apple tree
4' x 14' strip of raspberries
4' x 14' strip of black berries
2 elderberry bushes
2 10' x 20' garden beds
4 smaller raised beds for root veggies

I am trying to convince DH that getting a nanny goat for milk would be a good idea! He's noy buying it!
I'm in that boat too. DH is not buying into the goat idea either. I've had to turn down an offer of two free Nigerian Dwarf does. Gah!!
Do you have any pictures you could post of your set-up? You have exactly the same amount of space as we do and I'd love to see what you're doing with it. Of course, our biggest issue is the shade. My winter quest is to come up with as many ways as I can to work around that!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have only had our house for about a year and a half. When we got it, it was only the house and almost 8 acres. The good part was that there was fence on the sides and back. All we had to do is put fence behind the house. When we moved we brought our outdoor wood stove, my husband built a shed around it. We had to build a three sided shed for my horses. We got a shed for the chickens. Then, we built a 30 x 56 pole barn. There is still so much to do. I need to make a bigger pen for the goats and build some kind of milking room.

As for other things, the land has atleast 6 mulberry trees, which are wonderful to had. We planted three apple trees last year. This year I am planting asparagus, more apple trees, more strawberries, grape vines, peach trees, cherry trees, and making a few more raised beds. I am also getting honey bees. I already got my hives.

I am trying to find the best ways to live a better life and provide for my family. I am wanting to get meat chickens this year. But with so much to do already, I am not sure if it will get done this year or next. I will grateful that we were able to get what I wanted to last year. I just hope that this year is as wonderful.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta23: Do you have any pictures you could post of your set-up? You have exactly the same amount of space as we do and I'd love to see what you're doing with it.
I don't have any pictures. I am not much of a photographer. I can try and explain how we have the yard set up. My property is about 3 times as long as it is wide. The house is aprox 35' x 25' and sits about 40' from the road and is centered on the frontage. The black berries are at the front of the property with several trees, including the crab apple. The driveway is on the north side of the house. About 15' from the south east end of the house are two "Little Big" apple trees (they only get 6" tall). I have a stretch of lawn with a split rail fence and picnic table. In that part of the lawn are also 2 full size Pecam pear trees, one on either side of the property, and 2 elderberry bushes. Along the north property line in that area, we have an 8' x 10' shed and a 15' x 20' shed and the chicken coop and run. Just past the coop are the gardens. They are within 15 feet of the coop. The 2 larger veggie gardens form an L around the North and East sides of the coop. The raised beds are next to the larger veggie beds. One is about 8' x 10' and the others are either 4' x 4' or 3' x 1 1/2'. In front of the chicken run I have tha last apple tree, a full size Mac. Beyond the veggie gardens I have what we call "the garden room." This is an area that has been fenced in with a split rail fence and various shrubs and flowers to form a gated enclosure. This area is about 30' x 30' and has the grape arbor in it. This is the back property line. Along side the "garden room" is the row of raspberries, and another grassy area. We also have planted 40 blue spruce pine trees on the southern property line to act as a wind break and a screen from unsightly neighbors. They are now about 6 - 8 feet tall. We may also have shade problems at some point because of this. We also have a well and septic on the property so I dont have much more room to plant!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
VT-Chicklit said:
We live on 3/4 acre with:
1 house
2 sheds
1 coop with a run for my 4 hens
1 grape arbor
2 pear trees
3 apple trees
1 crab apple tree
4' x 14' strip of raspberries
4' x 14' strip of black berries
2 elderberry bushes
2 10' x 20' garden beds
4 smaller raised beds for root veggies

I am trying to convince DH that getting a nanny goat for milk would be a good idea! He's noy buying it!
I'm in that boat too. DH is not buying into the goat idea either. I've had to turn down an offer of two free Nigerian Dwarf does. Gah!!
Do you have any pictures you could post of your set-up? You have exactly the same amount of space as we do and I'd love to see what you're doing with it. Of course, our biggest issue is the shade. My winter quest is to come up with as many ways as I can to work around that!
You had to turn down 2 FREE Nigerians? And, you are still married? :lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

If someone offered me to free milk goats DH would just have to get use to them. LOL

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH didn't want me getting anymore animals, but I wanted goats anyways. So, I went and got two. After he was fine with it, until I got two more milkers. :lol: Now, I think he has given up. I just get what I want. I just got two bee hives this week. But the things I want want our family be more SS. So, he can't complain. I could be shopping all the time like some people I know.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Yup, still married. He's not totally against the idea. He just has valid concerns that I couldn't completely argue away. However, we took a giant leap forward today. We visited a small local farm and purchased a share of the meat and produce they will have available starting in June. (Grass fed beef, chickens, pork and our Thanksgiving turkey!) They have a beautiful Toggenburg goat who charmed his socks right off. She was very sweet and friendly. They arent' milking her for the winter. That had been one of DH's biggest concerns, milking in the colder weather. Now he's starting to realize he doesn't have all the facts and maybe I'm not so off base with the goat idea. He'd have to separate off part of our large chicken coop, but it is doable. And the bulk of the work is done! The coop interior never got finished before winter hit so this spring we just alternate the plans a bit!

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a very small fenced suburban yard.
The backyard is about 75' x 50'. When I moved in 5 years ago I took out all the lawn/grass in the backyard and put in raised beds. I grow veg. and flowers and have 3 columnar apple trees, 2 pear trees, 2 plum trees, 2 cherry trees and 1 apricot tree. I also have black raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, currants and blueberries.
And 5 chickens. :p
Last year I canned, froze and dried most of my produce.
There was even enough to share with friends and neighbors too.
And I rarely have to go to the grocery store.
Now if I could figure out how to keep a goat and learn to like goat milk :sick life would be great!
Also, I would love to learn how to keep bees and have a couple ducks.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I have a very small fenced suburban yard.
The backyard is about 75' x 50'. When I moved in 5 years ago I took out all the lawn/grass in the backyard and put in raised beds. I grow veg. and flowers and have 3 columnar apple trees, 2 pear trees, 2 plum trees, 2 cherry trees and 1 apricot tree. I also have black raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries, currants and blueberries.
And 5 chickens. :p
Last year I canned, froze and dried most of my produce.
There was even enough to share with friends and neighbors too.
And I rarely have to go to the grocery store.
Now if I could figure out how to keep a goat and learn to like goat milk :sick life would be great!
Also, I would love to learn how to keep bees and have a couple ducks.
Now THAT is using your space efficiently!!!! Wow! Impressive! :clap

Maybe you could keep hives on another property....or a share in a goat or cow. I would consider sharing a goat with someone, once I have the milking thing down, especially if that someone would farm-sit in exchange....not much more precious to me and dh than someone reliable to house/farm-sit when we go away....and to trade! Ahhh! Luxury!

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ahhh I forgot the quince tree!
It hasn't produced a single quince yet, but the flowers smell nice in the spring.