How Does One Vacuum Pack In Canning Jars...??

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for sharing..So i guess even with vacuum sealing in canning jars and those oxygen packets, short grain brown rice just won't last long unless refrigerated.Will any kinds of rice/beans/grains last long term( 1-2-3 yrs) if stored in the above mentioned method...?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well- I certainly hope brown rice keeps on the shelf as I have about 20 lbs stored in vacuum sealed jars.

I read that a person did this on some survival website. And the person at the National Home preservation Certer said ok.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Enjoy The Ride....did you use the oxygen packets,or did you just vacuum pack in canning jars...? How long do you expect the rice to stay good...? Did i read in another of your post, that you were only planning on keeping the rice canned for a couple months, or was that someone else...? Thanks...Kevin

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I "plan" on keeping it for over a year this way but I have done so only based on reading on a preservationist website and the fact that brown rice supposedly goes racid and doesn't spoil in other ways. I read some posts that brown rice has kept for years this way. But I personally have not tested it yet. I'll be able to tell you from personal experience in a couple of years.
The vacuum sealer removes most of the oxygen so oxygen packs shouldn't be neccessary.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks ETR....keep us updated....a couple yrs...lol