How fat is obese?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's a pretty informative video on why some food is so addictive:

http://tv.greenmedinfo.com/the-science-of-addictive-food/

It's a GREAT website, so hit 'home' afterwards. Tons of documented/tested homeopathic stuff, real science, real testing, not someone trying to sell you their magic cure-all.

Today I am fat. I used to be skinny. :D Then I hit middle age, gained 5 lbs a year consistently. Last summer I got really sick w/ some lung issues, quit smoking, sat a lot because it was so hard to breath if I did anything, gained another 25 lbs.

My theory always has been 'eat less, move more'. I'm in the carb addict group - never met a noodle or loaf of bread that I didn't like. Now I'm trying to eat less carbs, more beans/veg, blah de blah, we all know the drill.

I have lost 10 lbs, but definitely in the obese category as far as the charts are concerned. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Have you ever tried to look up a recipe online? You're supposed to use a pack of this, a pack of that, etc. How about listing real ingredients for those that actually want to cook!
Yeah that bugs the crap out of me!!! I HAVE to cook from scratch, can't use most of the mixes and junk anyway, and it aggravates me to never be able to just find a recipe that doesn't call for a "package" of this or that :/ I just quit looking and started inventing *smh* Even my Big Mac Casserole is healthier than most foods most folks make and eat every day. :hu

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Have you ever thought about how prevalent eating is in our daily life? Not just to nourish us, but for every occasion. If we get kids together for a meeting or class, we think they need a snack. We can't go for a car ride without a big gulp soda. Office birthdays, cake. Donuts because it's Friday. Pizza because it's the weekend. None of it is for nourishment. But we don't celebrate a special occasion with a big bowl of steamed carrots. Before Easter, I was appalled at how many aisles the Easter candy took up at walmart.
hmmmm YES!

I am not sending birthday cupcakes to school for my son's birthday tomorrow. Nope. Not gonna happen. Because I love him.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Aside from what the graphs say, what is YOUR definition of obese?
Several replies have already given my answer: It is based on function. Ability to walk up x flights of stairs without being short of breath; ability to tie one's own shoes; ability to see one's own feet ;)
(and, obviously, having those limitations due to excess weight, not some other illness or issue).

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Have you ever thought about how prevalent eating is in our daily life? Not just to nourish us, but for every occasion. If we get kids together for a meeting or class, we think they need a snack. We can't go for a car ride without a big gulp soda. Office birthdays, cake. Donuts because it's Friday. Pizza because it's the weekend. None of it is for nourishment. But we don't celebrate a special occasion with a big bowl of steamed carrots. Before Easter, I was appalled at how many aisles the Easter candy took up at walmart.

Mrs Obama can guide us all she wants, and I applaud her efforts, but until we change our culture regarding what and when to eat, we're just gonna get fatter and fatter. Then when you add in the myths that we have been fed about what is actually healthy; the ridiculous food pyramid, the ban of good fats and the touting of chemically created "food" ----ACK! I think it's a conspiracy! :hide
TOTALLY agree! It's absolutely insanely out of whack, so that anyone even approaching "normal" healthful eating looks like the crazy one.

We got invited to DH's parents for supper last night, which was really nice. The meal:

Chicken noodle soup, loaded with noodles
Juice
Potato chips
Tortilla chips
Rolls
Bread pudding
Ice cream
Sherbet

Now try to get your kids to eat healthy (or yourself) when those are your options! And that was ALL--no fruit, no vegetables except carrots in the soup. Just loads and loads of refined carbs.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
DeniseCharleson said:
ORChick said:
Aside from what the graphs say, what is YOUR definition of obese?
Several replies have already given my answer: It is based on function. Ability to walk up x flights of stairs without being short of breath; ability to tie one's own shoes; ability to see one's own feet ;)
(and, obviously, having those limitations due to excess weight, not some other illness or issue).
My husband is medically obese but can do all those things just fine. Doesn't mean he is not having internal damage despite being in shape for his weight.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals, sounds like your inlaws' dinner menu was pretty typical. lol. When we have a family get together, my daughter in law always says gratefully "Oh, I am so glad you brought fruit salad!" It's usually the only fruit/vegetable there. So sad.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Every year at the Nature Center, there's a evening program for the general public. And, one of the highlights of the evening is cooking hot dogs over a fire. They're provided, but everyone else is supposed to bring something to share. I always bring the same thing-a tray of raw veggies and dip. Other than that, there's normally potato chips, pretzels, corn chips, etc. Quite truthfully, if I didn't take the veggies, I wouldn't have much to eat. I'll eat one of the hot dogs, and I might have some of the chips, but that's about it from what others bring. I can't eat a ton of the junk.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:

:hide
I laughed when I read your list of eating occassions. The first thing that popped in my mind was you forgot FUNERALS!! I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but when someone dies, we show sympathy with FOOD! And we are good at it! Cassaroles, rolls, meats, pies, cakes, cookies, bananna pudding, any and all sorts of deserts-- step right up and stuff yourself! Heck, we'd probably spoon feed the corpse too if the family would let us! :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I got a phone call from the school this morning saying that kids should have the following beverages sent with if they don't drink milk: 100% fruit juice, 100% vegetable juice, sugar-free flavored water.

HELLO PEOPLE! How about WATER? Just sayin' ...

I was not pleased to be woken up this morning by an automated phone call about other family's nutrition problems.