How is homeschooling self sufficient?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Well, it is something you are doing *yourself*, rather than depending on corporate or governmental organizations for.

Seems 'self-sufficient' to me ;)

Pat

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think its the ultimate in self-sufficiency but, not so much in monetary value, as in cutting out all the unnecessary things and habits learned in public school and replacing them with individualized, effective schooling that doesn't require so much of a child's time.

When I homeschooled, the children had so much more time for real life lessons. We interspersed our day with discussions about what they were learning, how one would use it in practical applications and a lot about problem solving. The main lesson about self-sufficiency that is taught in homeschooling is how to educate oneself! How to analyze a situation, prioritize and allocate time, and come up with practical solutions to everyday problems. This they don't teach in public school and my children absolutely LOVED learning when it was something over which they had more control.

To not depend on someone to tell you how to learn, what to learn, test you to make sure you learned it just the way they wanted, to adhere to some national standard....well, its sad that so many children will stop learning when they get out of that system, because they have been made to learn according to some state formulary. The excitement of learning is often quite deadened by the time they reach the end of this treatment.

I think the self-sufficiency part comes in when they have learned to teach themselves, and have taught themselves to learn.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well said Beekissed!

I am not depending on anyone to educate my children for me. I teach them what I consider important to be a responsible adult.

missourichickenmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I think its the ultimate in self-sufficiency but, not so much in monetary value, as in cutting out all the unnecessary things and habits learned in public school and replacing them with individualized, effective schooling that doesn't require so much of a child's time.

When I homeschooled, the children had so much more time for real life lessons. We interspersed our day with discussions about what they were learning, how one would use it in practical applications and a lot about problem solving. The main lesson about self-sufficiency that is taught in homeschooling is how to educate oneself! How to analyze a situation, prioritize and allocate time, and come up with practical solutions to everyday problems. This they don't teach in public school and my children absolutely LOVED learning when it was something over which they had more control.

To not depend on someone to tell you how to learn, what to learn, test you to make sure you learned it just the way they wanted, to adhere to some national standard....well, its sad that so many children will stop learning when they get out of that system, because they have been made to learn according to some state formulary. The excitement of learning is often quite deadened by the time they reach the end of this treatment.

I think the self-sufficiency part comes in when they have learned to teach themselves, and have taught themselves to learn.
i agree. plus i like it a lot better than public school, it is more fun and when i go to homeschool groups the kids are really nice. :coolsun

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I don't know, how does homeschoolig allow kids to meet knew people and friends?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ticks said:
I don't know, how does homeschoolig allow kids to meet knew people and friends?
People are everywhere! :)

(Of course you know that. I'm being silly.) Everywhere you go there is an opportunity for your children to meet people and make friends. And if you aren't spending a third of your time in school, you've got lots more time to go do other things (like sports or scouts or art or church activities.)

That is one of the things I like most about home schooling. (Which I am not doing at the moment, but I have in the past and I will again.) You can be much more selective in who your children are subjected to.

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They seem to become more tuned in to everyone around them instead of just their peer group. When the distraction of "teen fashion, who's dating who, what they said about that one, do they like me, my hair, my clothes, my car, my looks, etc," is removed from the matrix, the kids seem to be more aware of the world and people around them. They tend to engage in conversations with older and younger people more readily, pay more attention to other's feelings and thoughts, and become more concerned with the world around them...not just lost in a "teen" or "preteen" bubble. They start to view parents as real people and, in the absence of large groups of their peers on which to model their behavior, start taking cues from their parent's behaviors instead. If they are well socialized outside their homeschooled environments, they tend to be much more mature and adaptable than your average child now days. You won't find too many rebellious, angst-ridden homeschooled children around!

When you consider all these factors, you have a child who makes friends with all ages and types of people, simply because they feel free to do so. Noone to pressure them into remaining in their "social group" of children their own age and economic status.

Arctichicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love homschooling my kids. We can incorporate teachings from the bible as well which they won't get in public school. Hey and let's be completely honest....at least at home we don't have to worry about some lunatic shooting/stabbing our kids. They are home safe and sound. They get a wonderful education and are involved in groups such as scouts, 4H, FFA and church. Lots of friends, family and wholesome fun. My kids are 15, 12, 9, 6, 4 & 2. I'm new to homeschooling but I already love it so much I will never subject my kids to a government ruled education again. Life is good!
Stephanie

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WOW, Stephanie! Do you have your hands full! I think its wonderful that you can homeschool your crew. You must stay very, very busy...even without considering the homeschooling! Yay !for big families and for parents who are devoted to making that an asset instead of a liability.

I'm the youngest of nine and we didn't have an ideal "big family" experience, so I still wish we had.