How long do you think processing 23 9-wk old creepy meaties will take?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I've got family coming in from TX for a visit on the same day as I already scheduled to dispatch my first-time-ever-to-own meat chicks. (Where is the freaking out (but in a good way) smilie.) I have a friend (that OFG set me up with--thanks for that girl!) and my 14 yo daughter here to help, plus I'm renting a plucker and scalder. How long do you think it will take (approx.) to get the job done? This isn't my first rodeo, I've helped do a few opc (other people's chickens) and just recently some opds (other people's ducks). However we plucked by hand.

My family is set to come sometime in the late afternoon, so I don't think it is going to be a huge issue. I just need to know if I should ask another friend to help. (Drake, don't worry, you are totally off the hook, but you are welcome to hang out with your duckling and watch if you want. ;) )

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
whoot! you go girl!

dunno since we never used a plucker - but that guy did a whole pile of his in a day. another pair of hands probably wouldnt be bad tho...

i'm so excited to see how this all works out! yay!

:)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I dont know actually but. If you can work it out to where everyone has their own station/duty it will go by much faster....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey OFG! JUST TWO WEEKS AWAY!! :ep

Yeah, I'll have stations ready as well as ice water, hose, etc. all ready. Just need to know about how long per bird it will take after they are scalded and plucked. Has anyone timed themselves? I'm guessing 15 minutes per bird (per person) from the killing cone to the ice water bath. Does that sound about right?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Usually 25 minutes per bird for us, but Im tweaking my process and I dont have any equipment, I have chopping block and hatchet, then a stockpot to scald and I pluck by hand. Its also me and Granny as well.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I can process 1 bird in about an hour by myself. I don't pluck I skin, which is suppose to be faster.:rolleyes: But to be honest, my first 3 went faster. After that I was tired and it got slower per bird. I averaged my time at the end of the day and said never again will I process that many birds at one time. I started at 6 a.m. took a couple of short breaks, ate lunch and put the last bird in the freezer at 8 p.m.
Note: I did pluck two birds because I wanted the skin on. That took up some of my time because I had to stop and start water boiling. It was a spur of the moment decision to pluck two birds.
I also cut up all the birds except 2. For me I spent as much time at the kitchen sink cutting up chicken as I spent skinning and gutting.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bigbrownhorse...since you've rented a plucker and scolder, it will go quickly.I've seen it done many times, from killing cone to ice water should only be minutes per bird for one person.As you likely know at least 24 hrs is suggested for the bird to rest/chill before butchering.Then you need to consider how the meatie is to be cut.Spliting in half is the faster, cutting into 8 parts takes the longest.It shouldn't take more then 1 1/2 -2hrs to kill,bleed,scold and pluck( with automated scolder/plucker) 23 meaties for one person from my experience.But as FarmerJamie says...your milage may vary...:)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whoot!!!!

When we did those Corning X a while back we did 23 in one day. No plucker though. It took most the morning to do half. Then we took a beer break and rested a bit then did the other half.

Where did you find a plucker to rent??? I am very jealous. That should make the process so much faster.

G

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well once in the kill cone it's approx 5 min to bleed out, scald takes about a min to min and half. pluck by hand about 10 min, clean innards etc about 5 min then on to the next. this can go even quicker with more people to assembly line it. We can easily do a dozen in a morning.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Gina....Hand plucking and beer breaks will surely slow things down....lol

Latest posts