How Long to Can Chicken Broth?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to jump through all kinds of hoops, adding this and that. I've found that it's more practical to just put the carcass (skin and gibblets and all) into the crock pot. Cook on low all day. Change the water 3x, saving the stock in the refrigerator. The first batch should make a firm jelly.

My instructions (All American) say 15 min @ 10 psi.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORchick, you didn't misread :) I just got into the habit of doing everything in quarts for 90 mins and everything in pints for 75, LOL. I'm lazy that way and it's less stuff to have to remember. I'm sure it could be done for less since it's just the liquid stock I can.

Justme, as I understand it, broth and stock start with pretty much the same ingredients, the main difference is that for stock you bake all the stuff first to get that sort of "browned" flavor. I used to mostly make broth, but since the time frame isn't much different, I just stick with stock now...I think it has more flavor. And before I got the pressure canner, I just froze it. Back in the day, freezer space wasn't such an issue but these days I only freeze what I can't can or dehydrate, LOL.

You're right Moolie...its the pressure that varies, not the time when it comes to pressure canning...not sure why I threw that comment in my OP...having a blonde moment and a senior moment collide, I reckon, :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chicken broth.......chicken stock........ Why don't we just call it CHICKEN JUICE? :lol: