How many of your SS choices were values/beliefs-based vs. financial?

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
A lot of our SS choices are belief based.

We are vegetarians because of our beliefs that killing is wrong. Therefore unlike some here, we do not grow meat animals.

I started buying eggs at the farmer's market many years ago because I learned of the terrible conditions of battery hens. Now we have our own hens and our beliefs dictate that they are members of our "tribe or pack" to pick words, because family isn't quite right. Therefore they will be cared for to the best of our ability for their natural lives, just like the dog and cats. This choice is an obvious financial hit.

I have given up most dairy brands because of the way most dairy cattle are treated. I have room and resources for a cow, but I can not wrap my head around the ethical dilemma of getting rid of the calves. So we choose to drink soy milk.

My beliefs also say that the work I do must be ethically in line with the rest of my beliefs. Farming and growing food is for me a good contribution to the world. It matters to me to help people attain locally grown wholesome food.

Frugal is us! Waste not, want not, reuse, repurpose, recycle. I do like my electricity and plumbing also. I hope to one day be able to afford to produce that electricity. There is always so much to strive for.

I think for so many of us our beliefs play a big part in how we set up our lives and the particular set of SS goals we choose to strive for.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
.....I think, as a nation, we have slowly been lulled into accepting substandard foods~first at fast food places and grocery stores, now school lunches~that we have forgotten that it wasn't always so. ......
How true!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A combination of them all I would say. Plus throw in a desire to live a simple life after being fascinated with it all my life(pioneer life). I started gardening in containers as first hubby & I lived in apartments & because we were poor & I love tomatoes & so does ds#1, so we had lots of tomatoes to eat all summer, along with a few other things. Then when we finally bought a house I put in a full fledged garden out of a desire to get back into the soil like i did as a kid in the family garden & to provide food for my family healthier & cheaper. Then after new dh & I moved out here the desire to not only have a garden became stronger & so did it for dh as he was raised on a farm in WI so the cattle came first. But I believe we are oly guests on this planet & we need to live it in as best shape as we can & everyone needs to do their part. WE need to be good stewards of everything that God provides to us. So in this economic time our desire to be even more SS is a trickle effect & financial need too. Plus we want to eat more & more natural & organic foods.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree with Homesteadmom! I've had so many questions as to why I am working so hard to improve a rental property. My answer is always, "Well, I may not always live here~but someone will!"

I think it behooves us all to put more into the soil and our outside environment than we take. It all starts little...and ends up big! It starts with our kids even....what we teach them today will determine our future. A strict no littering rule in our family is one example. Not even the little stuff, like gum wrappers.

Plant a tree, plant a fruit bearing vine, even planting perennial flowers is a way of adding to and not taking away. I think it all ties into my beliefs, anyway, to be a good steward of the land.

If I die tomorrow, who cares? If I have not taken from the land, the soil, from our future generations....this leaves an impact!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is like being a house guest who leaves and you go into the guest room and find the bed stripped, the room clean, and a gift with an appreciative note left for you.

I had guests who invited themselves (dear friend, remarried, came with new dh and all their 4 kids!) to stay and when I was at work, went to the hardware store and repaired a whole bunch of stuff! then went to the liquor store and stocked us up (we don't drink much, but it is nice to have something expensive to offer) Now THAT is a houseguest.

That is how I will leave any space I occupy.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It's like when you borrow something you return it in the same condition if not better than you got it.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love being around like-minded individuals! :)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I started learning self-suffiency because I was broke. SS fits me though, so it was bound to happen.

I'm Vegetarian and want healthy foods - so vegetables, fruits, eggs and dairy are a priority.
Animals will be treated fairly and eat natural stuff while they live with us.
Husband is a carnivore so he'll have culls for food. We will sell (good quality) extra animals sometimes.
Enjoy gardening and being with animals so farming may fit well. Farmers market or CSA's appeal to me.
Organic food and animal raising help the earth and I am committed to that whether I get certified or not.
Want to use and promote safe, useful, alternative healing, housing and energy methods.
Help others when I can.
Our dollars vote about what we want companies to make and if it will be mass produced. Supply and demand.
We like bartering and hope to do it when possible. Don't like wasting usable stuff, especially in landfills.
Cut up credit cards. Will get out of debt when possible.
I don't like depending on others. I want enough money for our needs, and a homestead/farm.
I would like to share the land with similar minded people or hope to have compatible neighbors.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this thread but it's still a relevant question. I think the reasons we do it are just as important as the fact that we do it, if you know what I mean?

I think a person is more committed to the idea of SS and cleaner living if it's not just a financial decision. Financial situations fluctuate as life progresses and being SS because you are poor and have to do so could change as well.

I have siblings who were raised off grid right along side of me who would never, ever entertain the thought of going back there. They are now very well off (they believe) and only someone with a screw loose would WANT to live like that, in their eyes.

I started learning self-suffiency because I was broke. SS fits me though, so it was bound to happen.
I think most of us are more like Dragon...we started for another reason and it fit so well that it became part of our life and belief system along the way.

It's a good life! :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I hate waste- I have always looked around to see if there is some plant that wants a drink before throwing out water. I have always turned the water off while brushing teeth and have always taken a Navy shower, even when water's cheap and plentiful. So I seem to be somewhat oriented that way by nature.
But I never could afford to just have something done for me, so I learned to do myself. Of course the reason that I couldn't afford stuff was animals with vet bills- sigh. But still,if I wanted it, I built it myself.
Now I'm I can't do as much and I find I don't think much is worth the great push so I just decide I don't want something. Simplicity through senility............. :old