How many people here are prepared for an emergency?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our well ran dry last year. Fortunately it was short lived, and my parents live next door and have a deeper well than us. It was mostly an annoyance. Bad drought year, I didn't complain when this year we had more rain than normal.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need to add that my obsession with water no doubt stems from a shallow well on the family farm that always ran dry at the end of the summer, necessitating visits to the local Y for showers and filling water jugs for drinking until the rains returned.

This taught me a reverence for clean potable water that drives my husband crazy, but it's only taken 40 years to bring him around to my way of thinking! ("Hey, turn off the tap while you're brushing your teeth!")

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do rainwater collection for the chickens. We have the two 30+ acre ponds and the steam that feeds them accessible if truly needed. And the needed filters needed to use them.

We had 5 days without power a few winters ago (so no well) and did fine. I constantly had ice and snow melting by the woodstove so birds could drink and we could shower. Well I'd fill one of those 2 gallon camp shower and hang it in the tub. We still have an ancient gravity fed septic so we could even flush with melted water.

I cooked on the wood stove since it was actually designed for the top to be used as a cooking surface. Soup and stews mostly, but steak and veggies one night. Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Just extra work but we had little disruption.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
When I grew up my grandparents on my father's side lived on a small holding a few miles from Pretoria (South Africa). They relied on bore holes for water for everything. My grandmother longed for a nice garden, but had to go easy on the water, as the holes dried up and more had to be found… I vaguely remember I think it was my father and grandfather, walking the property with a twisted wire in hand, waiting for the wire to turn and let them know there is ground water in that spot. Absolutely magical it was for me. They did something similar with a stick too…

My grandfather (he was blind) sometimes asked me to walk with him down to the borehole, where he'd drop a string or something down into the hole and then measure it with his arms' length to see how deep down the water level is…

One year they ran out of water completely and the fire brigade had to bring them some. The tanker stayed on their smallholding for many years afterwards. Just in case.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This taught me a reverence for clean potable water that drives my husband crazy, but it's only taken 40 years to bring him around to my way of thinking! ("Hey, turn off the tap while you're brushing your teeth!")

I'm the same way when I hear my son in there running water as he shaves...WHY the running water??? :barnie My Dad used to shave in a basin of water just fine.

We also have water saver shower heads that one can turn off in between getting wet, soaping up and rinsing, which Mother and I do....but can't seem to convince visiting kids and spouses to do the same. They are used to living in town and using water like it's going out of style...you'd think if you were paying for every gallon you'd be more aware of water usage, wouldn't you?

It's not that we are afraid of the well running dry...this well flows between two layers of flint rock and runs 80 gal. to the hour, but it's just the thought of wasting all that good water...why do it? o_O

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am in an area with rare drought issues but have seen them in the 19 years on this farm. Once for several months -- pastures suffered! -- but I had more than enough water from a deep well for family & animals. Just no way to irrigate 15 acres set up. Plus there are a couple large rivers & lakes within an easy drive. So, unless it was a several year issue, there would be no terrible problems. Could still water a veggie garden area without concerns.

I'm pretty ok with surviving "most" of the more common issues from weather disasters we normally see. Being on the highest point in my area, flooding in the vicinity limits my travel but, not a danger for my house, barns, etc. I feel generally prepared more than many may.

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm the same way when I hear my son in there running water as he shaves...WHY the running water??? :barnie My Dad used to shave in a basin of water just fine.

We also have water saver shower heads that one can turn off in between getting wet, soaping up and rinsing, which Mother and I do....but can't seem to convince visiting kids and spouses to do the same. They are used to living in town and using water like it's going out of style...you'd think if you were paying for every gallon you'd be more aware of water usage, wouldn't you?

It's not that we are afraid of the well running dry...this well flows between two layers of flint rock and runs 80 gal. to the hour, but it's just the thought of wasting all that good water...why do it? o_O

We are kindred spirits. :) Maybe try talking to them about what's going on in Cape Town right now...

My hubby ALSO runs the water while he shaves, which is why I wised up several years ago, stopped yelling about it, and bought him a Norelco, heh.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hubby fills the sink when he shaves once a week. He uses the electric a few times a week as well but is usually a bit scruffy.

We have a small water heater. Showers run me about 6 minutes and that's with me shaving pits and conditioning hair. There is a trickle function on the showerhead we use. Only way for two hot back to back showers.

Hubby was on a boat a lot in the navy. Showers were timed. Time was only for time water was running. So he's well used to turning it off. Wet self, soap up, rinse.

Water is off while brushing teeth too.

We don't wash clean clothes either like some people I know. "Oh I wore this shirt 2 hours it's dirty." Nope that is hung and worn next day as well. Jeans are washed once a week unless muddy or spilled something. I have clothes for wearing outside and others for wearing to town. That's what grandma did.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Same here...we reuse clothing, towels, etc. over and over. We always did that, even before we lived off grid, but living off grid really cemented that way of being.

We also do the clothing for working, clothing for town thing...I've got certain clothing I've had for over 10 yrs now that show no or little wear due to using them seldom and not washing them often.

My DIL is constantly doing mountains of laundry because they never wear anything twice and she changes the children all day long as soon as their clothing gets any food or anything on them.